Cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

"Windows Indexing" for Built-in Data management equals "Windows Search Service" for 2012 R2?

Experimenter
Experimenter

Just trying to figure out what is meant by Windows Indexing for built-in data management since I don't believe 2012 R2 really has Windows Indexing any longer.

9 REPLIES

Re: "Windows Indexing" for Built-in Data management equals "Windows Search Service&qu

Solution Partner Valued Contributor Solution Partner Valued Contributor
Solution Partner Valued Contributor

Windows Server 2012 R2 does allow for indexing.  The feature may not be installed by default.  You must install the Windows Search Service Feature through Server Manager.

Re: "Windows Indexing" for Built-in Data management equals "Windows Search Service&am

Gears Esteemed Contributor Gears Esteemed Contributor
Gears Esteemed Contributor

Hi

just another question to the same issue:

Does anybody have some kind of performance results for such a server index use?

I have setup the search service on a customers server last week and did a "where used" for a small test directory example.

There are less than 15 files with some parts, drafts and assemblies.

And a where used or find draft takes approx. 6-8 seconds.

Will this mean, that always the complete database will be involved?

For the indexed server branch of files, I suppose several tousand files to be there.

regards
Wolfgang

Re: "Windows Indexing" for Built-in Data management equals "Windows Search Service&am

Phenom
Phenom

From what I know, the locations to search are listed in the FastSearchScope.txt file - so you need to limit that to just the solid edge locations. If it is set to a much larger dataset containing many other fles it could account for a slower search.

(I would assume fast search just ignores non-solid-edge files, but it will still have to go and look if any are there)

Our current test data data is hundreds of thousands of files and a where used does the whole lot in 30-40 seconds.

HP Z420 16GB RAM
Quadro K4000
ST10 MP6 on Windows 10 Pro 64.

Siemens Phenom Siemens Phenom
Siemens Phenom

Unfortunately Windows Indexing only indexes as a background operation while the system is idle.  Therefore if your server is hosting multiple applications and constantly being accessed it could theoretically take hours or days or even potentially never for the indexing to finish. 

Therefore it is essential that you limit the applications running on your server and that you limit the folder and file locations being indexed.

There are also ways to speed up the indexing.  I have used these on my systems but to be honest I do not have enough data to truly qualify how much this helps improve the indexing speed. Others swear by it.  Google for "DisableBackoff registry key" or "Disable indexer backoff gpedit".

As with any tweak, YMMV and this is unsupported but I would be genuinely interested in what other users experiences are with this setting

Experimenter
Experimenter

It would be safe to say then that you are happy with the performance (gain?) you got after enabling Windows Search/Windows indexing on these SolidEdge Files?

Do you have any instances where SolidEdge files are mixed together with other document types? 

I know very little about the SolidEdge product, I am assisting a customer that wants to enable the data management feature on a Windows 2012 R2 file server that merely hosts the SolidEdge files, among other document types. Just trying to watch out for potential problems.

Gears Esteemed Contributor Gears Esteemed Contributor
Gears Esteemed Contributor

Hi to all,

I would like to use this thread to ask an older question again to that informed group of admins and windows experts:

I have seen problems - from the beginning on, when Fast Serach was introduced by Solid Edge - with searching for numbers within property fields.

Especially when the number contains "0"s 

Also there is an issue how to use the windows search function properly.

When i for example enter the search string "male" all occurency of "male" as the beginning of the search fields are shown as results, but I would assume to also get those with "female" in the field.

I have found - don't ask me where - that man can use "~*mal*" as search string to get the proepr result, but maybe there are other unknown tricks and hints what can be used for searching.

regards
Wolfgang

Siemens Phenom

Windows Search uses the Advanced Query Syntax (AQS).  You can read the formatting of the AQS at this link:

https://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/windows/desktop/aa965711(v=vs.85).aspx

The above reference is outdated but I cannot find a more up to date AQS reference anywhere.

The word search is not automatically a wild card or partial word search unless you explicitly tell it to look for wildcards.

Therefore "male" will NOT get you by default "female".  You will need to add additional operators to your search e.g. female OR male:

2018-02-27 19_31_46-female OR male - search-ms_displayname=Search%20Results%20in%20WinSearch&crumb=l.png

Siemens Phenom

BTW, did you know you can save and recall searches?  After submitting your search and getting some results back simply right-click and in the results and select "Save search":

2018-02-27 19_51_36-Greenshot.png

Saved searched are by default stored in your Searches folder and can be quickly recalled simply by double-clicking on it:

2018-02-27 19_52_52-E__Users_Merritt_Searches.png

Once the search is saved you can then place it on your desktop, pin to the taskbar etc.

Experimenter
Experimenter

Are you doing the searching from the server? Such as is that how it would appear to an end-user connecting to the server via a mapped drive or a similar method?