revision manager copying - HELP

Builder
Builder

Long question short....how to EASILY copy an assembly from one location to another while keeping subassemblies organized in there own folder. We do not have a PDM only windows. If this can be done and someone is willing to show this in a short video clip this would help me TREMENDOUSLY!

Attached is an image showing a simple SE asm with four subassemblies, each of those in there own windows folder. Now when copying in RM to a new location I lose the organization and all parts / all subassemblies are no longer in there own distinct folders as the attached image shows. Surely this is my inexperience but im sure there is an easier way of doing this rather than copying each subassembly seperately (basically using RM 5 times) to get this done.

-Nate-

17 REPLIES

Re: revision manager copying - HELP

Esteemed Contributor
Esteemed Contributor

The information you provided is pretty sketchy but if you are just copying one assembly which references lower level assemblies you can just copy that one assembly to a new folder and it will still reference those subassemblies wherever they currently reside.

Again, I may not be clear on what it is you're trying to do.

Bruce Shand
ST9 MP8 - Insight - Win10 - K4200

Legend
Legend

Hi Nate,

Suppose the folder shown in the image is C:\Coffe Counter\

1.- Open the asm in revision manager.
2.- Expand all
3.- Select all
4.- Set action for copy
5.- If you have drafts:
        5a.- Click on Tools->Where used... select path to asm.
        5b.- Once finished all drafts appears in bottom panel.
        5c.- Select all dfts
        5d.- set action for copy.
6.- Click on Replace button.
7.- In Search, put the open asm path (for example: C:\Coffee Counter\).
8.- In Replace by, put the new path (for example: C:\Coffee Counter 2\).
9.- Click in the upper panel (where all parts are).
10.- Click on Replace All (the paths of the asms and prts update).
11.- If you have drafts:

11a.- Click on the bottom panel (where drafts are).
        11b.- Click on Replace All again (the path of the dfts update).
12. Finally, click on Perform Actions.

Hope it helps.

Héctor Pelayo Izquierdo
Engineering Department, JAE Ingeniería y Desarrollos, S.L.
Solid Edge ST9 MP5 | NX 9
Development: VB.NET

Builder
Builder

bshand....did you see the image that i attached? Thats how i would like my folder to look after copying with revision manager. I use Revision Manager daily but like a stated after copying using RM all the subassemblies are then cluttered in the "same" folder....rather than each subassembly "and the parts within" to be in there own folder.

Im trying to copy one assembly to a new location while KEEPING the subassemblies in there resided folders after the RM copy!!!

Just like my attached image

Esteemed Contributor
Esteemed Contributor

So just copy that one assembly to a new destination. Don't have any actions on any other files listed in the RM window.

You may want to include the assembly draft if there is one but you could also copy it later and edit links.

The problem with the image you included is that it doesn't clarify what was before the copy and what is desired after the copy.

Both are important in discussing Rev Man.

Bruce Shand

Builder
Builder

Im not having issues with the actual copy.......its after the copy when all the subassemblies THEN RESIDE IN THE SAME FOLDER that i do not want??????

Esteemed Contributor
Esteemed Contributor

You must have defined actions to copy other things besides that one assy. Either that or we're talking about a bug.

Maybe make a video of your workflow.

Bruce Shand

Builder
Builder

Im not sure what you are explaining here......

***surely I cannot be the only one copying asm's "with subassemblies" using windows!!!!!

Phenom
Phenom

hector has shown the correct way - Rev manager will create the folders if they don't exist.

HP Z420 16GB RAM
Quadro K4000
ST7 MP10 on Windows 7 Pro 64.

Esteemed Contributor
Esteemed Contributor

@beachcomber, I guess I was misinterpreting the original question. I was thinking he just wants to copy one assembly and have it in a new folder but pointing to the existing folders for subassemblies and parts.

Bruce Shand