Cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

revision of parts and assemblies

Dear all,

I have one other request for you!

I'm an Inventor user in the past, with Vault as PDM manager, now I'm using solid Edge and I have a terrible issue with revisions of parts and and assemblies.

As Vault user, I never renamed the files for indicate the revision of a part, because Vault keep track of all the revision made, you just have to extract the component from it, make the modification, save and then archive it on vault: the filename is always the same, but the revision (that is visible only on file properties) is changed.

Actually, if I want to make a modification on a file and keep the previous release for eventually roll-back pourposes or as history of project, I have to open the file with Revision Manager, apply the revision (the name change), open the file, do the changements, save and then go in every assembly that use that part and change it with the new file Smiley Surprised

I'm not sure I'm making it in the right way, but I have to manage a lot of datas, move older file in another storage folders and so on...very laborious!!

Any suggestion and/or documentation where to learn more?

Thanks 

13 REPLIES

Betreff: revision of parts and assemblies

Gears Esteemed Contributor Gears Esteemed Contributor
Gears Esteemed Contributor

Hi @Davide_Parolin

just can recommend the use of the BuildInDataManagement from Solid Edge.

Workflow and setup is easy, usage is really good and works perfect for me.

Revisions and revision history, a where used etc. everything is available without the need of any additional server, database, etc.

See the documents form the last SE University and the help pages

regards
Wolfgang

Hi @hawcad,

thansks for your prompt reply, I can't find "builtindatamanagement" on my ST9, is that an option module or what?

Thanks

Legend
Legend

Just to make sure I understand:

Are you changing the file name when you do revisions? You are not using the revision field within the file properties? So 12345.psm is becoming 12345 Rev-A.psm when you do revisions?

Hi @Trikefreak,

yes, when I click on revision, the name change from 1234.par to 1234-001.par 

I know that it's not mandatory that the filename change, but if I don't do in thit way, I'm goint to lost the roll back possibility and the history of a component.

Thanks

...an addition, the filename change but also the revision field change!

Re: revision of parts and assemblies

Gears Esteemed Contributor Gears Esteemed Contributor
Gears Esteemed Contributor

Davide_Parolin wrote:I have to open the file with Revision Manager, apply the revision (the name change), open the file, do the changements, save and then go in every assembly that use that part and change it with the new file Smiley Surprised

You should be able to do that with Revision Manager (Design Manager since ST9) using the where-used functionality.

Bruce Shand
ST10 MP7 - Insight - Win10 - K4200

Hi @bshand,

Thanks for the reply, I know that about that function, but the search need A LOT of time to be completed and it remain a PITA to do all the changements and move the old file to another folder (old file folder)...a lot of consuming-time work Smiley Sad

Regards 

Phenom
Phenom

@Davide_Parolin If you use Built in Data Management (BiDM) in Solid Edge you can make all of this happen automatically and quickly. Old revisions can be moved to an obsolete folder, new revisions to an in-process folder, etc. As far as roll-back goes, you are basically creating a new file for the new revision. So if you need a roll-back you have the previous file version avalable at any time.

I don't think it is a fair comparison between Inventor w/ Vault and plain Solid Edge without a PDM solution. However, the BiDM with Solid Edge will handle what you need well for a smaller installation base. How many seats of Solid Edge are you running? This is probably the major determining factor for what you need for PDM. As I read it, BiDM is basically a solution for smaller installations, perhaps 10-15 seats or less. For a larger user base than that you need to seriously consider TeamCenter or something along those lines for full blown PDM.

Now all that said, I am admitedly no PDM expert, but there are several folks on here who are. I have experimented with the BiDM using DropBox as my storage location and it works quite well and is amazingly fast. It will work similarly fast when using a fileserver. Both of these solutions use the Windows indexing service to index metadata which helps speed up the process.

There is an excellent video on BiDM on the Ally PLM web site (https://youtu.be/R-UrGQOj2Yc) and probably others as well. I would suggest looking into this immediately. Perhaps your reseller can be of assistance as well.

**edit** Under Solid Edge Options - File Lcoations you can see the file folder structure you can use for moving files in BiDM:

Solid_Edge_Options.jpg

HTH,

Bob Henry
REH Technical Consulting
Canonsburg, PA 15317

Thanks @rehenryjr for your answer, I will take a look on the video you posted.

Now I understand what you mean with BiDM, I thought it was something external but it's part of ST9 itself.

regards