Cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

rotate view about .....

Phenom
Phenom

Is there a way to define a view point to rotate about? Or if you highlight a component to have the view rotate about that component? I am finding that rotating about a view center is a bit tedious. Especially if you have something like a wire harness and you want to spin/rotate about one area.

8 REPLIES

Re: rotate view about .....

Gears Esteemed Contributor Gears Esteemed Contributor
Gears Esteemed Contributor

Hi @RyanM,

Picking over a part of the model seems to be working as designed for me.....finds a new point of rotation, and if off the model it rotates about the view centre.

Sean Cresswell
Design Manager Streetscape Ltd
Solid Edge 2019 [MP3] Classic [x3 Seats - Cloud Enabled]
Windows 10 - Quadro P2000

Phenom
Phenom
As my 84 year old, philosopher, Greek neighbor would say "You're a genius. A genius, I tell you." with a heavy Greek accent. Yes, I run a couple different versions. Running ST10 I see an orange sphere as a rotation point.

Betreff: rotate view about .....

Hi @RyanM

was the question about rotating the complete model in 3D about a certain point/axis or to change the "view" from a draft?

regards
Wolfgang

Phenom
Phenom

You can select a model edge or the end point of an edge to rotate about as well. This edge or point selection gives you much more control during the rotation if there is something specific you need to work around. A 3D mouse is the best way to handle any of this in my view, followed by the various right mouse + keyboard commands if you don't have a 3D mouse. 

Bob Henry
REH Technical Consulting
Canonsburg, PA 15317

Hi @rehenryjr

Hi @RyanM

Hi Edgers,

it is not necessary to have a 3D mouse in use, for better controlling the rotation of a 3D model in space.

I've created a short video, showing a small assembly, but not located at the model space center, but a distance away.

So this normally would result in a very nasty movement when rotating this model.

See beginning of the video.

But, what You can do is, to click the Middle Mouse Button, bringing a red point on screen.

Now You can select either a point on a face, a line (edge) on any body) or a circle of a hole for using this axis as rotation element.

You will see in video, that I used point on the faces, an edge of the middle part and a circle axis of a hole to aftrwards rotate exactly about this elelement.

This will be active as long as You either use again the MMB and click inspace or change to any defined view with CTRL+T,F,I and so on.

regards
Wolfgang

Phenom
Phenom

@hawcad Is there a setting that must be enabled to allow your workflow to function? I am curious as I am unable to obtain the red dot with a middle mouse click as you show in your video. My middle button is a wheel. I tried this in both ST9 & 10 and do not seem to be able to see this functionality in either. What am I missing?

I have always used a 3D mouse or the right mouse+shift/ctrl/alt functionality, but the method you illustrate is defintiely useful.

TIA,

Bob Henry
REH Technical Consulting
Canonsburg, PA 15317

Hi @rehenryjr

no there is no special workflow or button or anything else necessasry to involvr this function.

I just press the Middle Mouse Button, move over a face and You will get  this red point.

This functionallity is there since v18, that means over 12 years now.

And I also have a mouse with a whell in the middle.

Give it another try an I'm absoluteley confident, that You will get it.

regards
Wolfgang

Phenom
Phenom

You don't get the dot until you move the mouse. So hold the middle mouse button. Then move around. I was expecting the dot to show up automagically, too. Then I moved the mouse and voila, the dot shows up.