same assembly, different configuration

Creator
Creator

I know this is possible, but I am having trouble figuring out how to accomplish it.  I have a larger assembly that contains 3 copies of a smaller sub-assembly (see the image).  Each of the motorized jacks needs to have it's corresponding post at a different height, but the only way I can figure out how to make it work is if I actually have 3 different versions of the sub-assmebly, which is really inefficient.  I've poked around in the help files but it's really confusing - not even sure what the exact terminolgy is for what I'm trying to do.

assembly configurations.PNG

19 REPLIES

Re: same assembly, different configuration

there are a few options.  

make the sub assemblies adjustable so they can be controlled at the top level assembly

or

make a family of assemblies

it really depends on what you needs are in final output in use and in documentation.

Esteemed Contributor
Esteemed Contributor

It's unfortunate that Solid Edge doesn't emulate what SolidWorks can do here. Namely, make dimensions or mate distances part of assembly configurations. That way you could simply create 3 configurations in your subassembly with the jacks at different heights. With Edge you need to jump through fairly complicated hoops with adjustable assemblies or even worse, a family of assemblies. 

I'd go with adjustable assemblies. Good luck.

Bruce Shand
ST9 MP10 - Insight - Win10 - K4200

PLM World Member Phenom PLM World Member Phenom
PLM World Member Phenom

Hello,

I would try Matt's first suggestion using adjustable subassemblies.  It avoids the need for a family of assemblies at the top level.  

Kyle

Kyle Joiner
IPA LLC
ST10 MP1

Creator
Creator

I would like to do this using the "Alternate Assemblies" feature, but it's all greyed-out?

Siemens Phenom Siemens Phenom
Siemens Phenom

What type of license do you have?

Phenom
Phenom

Assembly configurations have always been a pain and it is time they were sorted out and simplified. Its the same with adjustable assemblies.

After 19 years there should be something better (OK I know they haven't been around from the start, but they have been a pain for a long time).

HP Z420 16GB RAM
Quadro K4000
ST7 MP10 on Windows 7 Pro 64.

PLM World Member Phenom PLM World Member Phenom
PLM World Member Phenom

I agree with Beachcomber on alternate assemblies and families of assemblies.  I tried it once over 10 years ago with one of our products that had 3 different sizes.  I found the load times for the assembly to be too long.  Also, the "apply to all members" check box or something like that was always tricky to figure out when to use it.  I broke the assembly into 3 separate ones.  Now I'm managing a product with 6 different sizes requiring 6 different assembly models because I don't want to try families of assemblies again.

Kyle

Kyle Joiner
IPA LLC
ST10 MP1

Creator
Creator

No idea, but it's a site-wide institutional license for a large org.  I assume it's got all the bells and whistles.

Siemens Phenom Siemens Phenom
Siemens Phenom

The only times I can think of that everything including the 'New Member' button are disabled are when the assembly is edited-in-place from another assembly, a sub-assembly has been edit-opened from another assembly or you are in an environment that does not support alternate assembly modifications.

Greg