Cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

share sketch

Legend
Legend

Hello,

Is there a way to share or extract the sketch that is imbedded in a feature, ordered mode.  For example in sheet metal, someone made a tab and the sketch is embedded.  I would like to extract that sketch out of the feature and have it in the Path Finder tree to use for other feature(s).  Is Solid Edge able to get the sketch out of the feature and into the Path Finder?

Thank you.

Those who know me question the assigned user rank.
16 REPLIES

Re: share sketch

Phenom
Phenom

@bnemec I am not aware of any method to extract a sketch as you describe it once it is consumed to create a feature.

However, you could simply create a new sketch just below the tab feature in the pathfinder and use the include - single face option to capture the tab geometry with a minimal number of clicks. This new sketch would then "follow" the feature behavior and be available for future use.

Edit: I don't know exactly what you are trying to accomplish with this method, but essentially, all of your tab edges are available for the connection of additional features without having the sketch. For example, you could simply create a new sketch with various geometry tied to the tab and then use this new sketch moving forward.

HTH,

Bob Henry
REH Technical Consulting
Canonsburg, PA 15317

Legend
Legend
Thank you Bob. I should have expanded, I'm working on an existing model that is used in existing assemblies (frequent exercise). In an effort to prevent breaking relations in multiple assemblies I try to adjust existing features instead of redoing them. In our sheet metal parts it's common for hole(s) to be the driving feature, but they must come after the tab. For example, we have a tab that needs to change shape to accommodate the changes to the hole. That is why I like to share the sketch so that one sketch can have markers for the holes and have the profile for the tab or flange. If needed, the hole or cutout feature can have it's own profile, but it is driven by elements in the tab sketch, no dims on that sketch. Opposite way around from what you described.

Gears Phenom Gears Phenom
Gears Phenom

Hello @bnemec

Just like Bob, I too am not clear about your end use of the sketch but you can easily start the Edit Profile mode and copy the sketch, exit the sketcher and paste it to a new sketch.

esket.png

The copied sketch will not be associative or linked.

and I can only think of automating this task to save time.

Tushar

Legend
Legend

Hi Tushar,

In SolidEdge, one can start a feature by creating the sketch first and then using that sketch in a feature or start the feature command and SE goes to sketch environment first.   In the first case the sketch will always be in the PathFinder tree (ideal).  However, when people don't bother creating a sketch first and just start the feature, the sketch seems to be embedded in the feature so is not in the Path Finder and not available for other features to use.  That part we are all used to and understand.

What I'm asking is how do I get the embedded sketch out of a feature and into the Path Finder?  I do not want a copy of it.  I want THAT sketch.  Is it possible to do that in SolidEdge?

Gears Esteemed Contributor Gears Esteemed Contributor
Gears Esteemed Contributor

Hi @bnemec

no this is not possible to do with SE.

But to be honest, IMHO the implicit profile without any additional entry in the pathfinder is one of my greatest favorite with SE against other products.

I do not want to see those series of objects, sketches etc. in the PF.

If You want to extract the skect from an extrusion, so I would copy it and put it into a new sketch object, before the existing one.

And then You can change the profile step to use this one instead of having it integrated.

But an external sketch IMHO only make sense if there is geometry for several features, that are extrusions and cutouts.

But again, this only is a very personal opinion.

regards
Wolfgang

Legend
Legend
@hawcad,
As you say, much variance in how we all model and even what types of products we work with and the life cycle of these products. I would be near the opposite end of the spectrum. I think programmatically, like to have the sketches ahead of the features. I use groups in the path finder and often times give meaningful names to the sketches and features to help others can find their way around the model a year or five from now.

Hi @bnemec

this is great and I try to train this always when having a Solid Edge course.

Use meaningful names for every object You create in the pathfinder, avoid any dimensions there, they can change.

Use names showing whatfore thos feature will be used.

Group as much as possible to hold the pathfinder as short as possible.

But all of this rules are not necessarily linked to thave external sketches.

No, even they claim for having them integrated.

There is only one reason for having them alone as external feature, and this is if the sketch comes from an external source (DXF e.g.) or it will be used for several different 3D features.

And - and this is the one I nearly always say: "Create the sketch profile first!" - and this is for more complex features like complex sweeps and lofts

Here You will be on the secure side if first creating the profiles, saving and then create Your 3D feature.

But in most situations I prefer the internal ones.

But naming and grouping is one of the most important topics when modeling.

regards
Wolfgang

I agree with both approaches but one thing I liked about the way SolidWorks reveals the sketch in the pathfinder is that in assemblies you can selectively turn on/off only needed sketches instead of all sketches and all sketches are available instead of hidden. Same goes for planes.

I also agree about organizing the pathfinder. Practices here tend to be sloppy and it makes me a little nuts.

Bruce Shand
ST10 MP7 - Insight - Win10 - K4200

Gears Phenom Gears Phenom
Gears Phenom

Agree with you Bruce.

SolidWorks has invested in to and exploited its own Pathfinder to the fullest.

Comparatively in Solid Edge the pathfinder has been used moderately.

IMO, ideally users should be allowed to use an existing sketch for a feature and a copy of the used portion of the sketch should automatically be added under the feature node as a new sketch which will govern the feature.

But, the present behavior is perhaps entrenched too deep into the DNA of the program to be modified.