simple assembly constraints, real head scratcher

[ Edited ]

Okay, I've got a cone part with a bolt hole pattern in it, and bolts sticking out through those holes. Then there is a door that is contoured to fit that cone with a matching hole locations. Now, I start bringing in washers, and place a relationship to the bolt axis, then a tangent relationship with the flat face of the washer to the outside of that contoured door panel. Everything goes smoothly for the first 6 washers, until when I place the 7th, for some reason they aren't fully constrained. Then it starts getting really weird when I start unlocking and locking the rotations on them. See video below. Pay attention to the shaky corners in the pathfinder for the washers under #6.

constraints.JPG

(view in My Videos)

This isn't really that big of a problem, I'm just a stickler for things being fully constrained, and I'm curious what is going on here with these.

ST9
Windows 7 Professional
Nvidia K2200 & Intel Xeon
"You're doing it wrong"
8 REPLIES

Betreff: simple assembly constraints, real head scratcher

Hi @nominus38,

You mentioned that this is a hole pattern in the cone part.

So can You "pattern" the bolt and washer using this pattern?

regards
Wolfgang

hawcad wrote:

Hi @nominus38,

You mentioned that this is a hole pattern in the cone part.

So can You "pattern" the bolt and washer using this pattern?

There is no actual pattern, it is a bolt circle but not a pattern that can be used as the bolt pattern was done while the part was unbent. After rebending the hole pattern is no longer useful in that regard.

ST9
Windows 7 Professional
"You're doing it wrong"

Here, so you can see how I did this. I'm actually pretty proud of what I did with the door. And the bolt pattern.

The top level assembly is named hoppercone-00.asm

ST9
Windows 7 Professional
"You're doing it wrong"

As the door is a cylindrical surface there are 2 possible solutions to the tangent relationship - could this be part of the problem, although if some are OK it seems a bit weird.

HP Z420 16GB RAM
Quadro K4000
ST7 MP10 on Windows 7 Pro 64.

I would use the "Duplicate Components" tool  to pattern the Washer and the Nut over the Bolts.

(view in My Videos)

Re: simple assembly constraints, real head scratcher

Hi,

I suggest using part pattern from "part level". You can save a lot of effort and time.

Here is a video about steps:

BR,

Imics
http://solidedgest.wordpress.com/

Imics wrote:

Hi,

I suggest using part pattern from "part level". You can save a lot of effort and time.

Here is a video about steps:

BR,

Dude, I never would have thought of doing the pattern like that, using the central cutout by offsetting out to where the bolt circle is and then pattern by curve.....brilliant. I think you will save me lots of time on things like this in the future.

ST9
Windows 7 Professional
"You're doing it wrong"

Hi,

"I think you will save me lots of time on things like this in the future."

This was my goal! Smiley Wink

BR,

Imics
http://solidedgest.wordpress.com/