simple pattern modification

I cant seem to figure out a way to do this without using external .bas or excel links.  I really want the part to be able to stand on its own.

What I'm looking to do is create a variable length square bar with mounting holes in it.  I need a hole on each end fixed 3" from the end and then a variable pattern of holes between them.  The distance between the patterned holes should never exceed 12" and never be less than 9 or so inches.

Currently I'm using a sensor to alert me if the pattern exceeds those parameters and then I manualy edit the "fit" number fo holes to bring it back where I want it.  It would amazing if this could be automated as the length of the bar is changed.  Is there a simpler way to do this that wouldn't require my intervention?

15 REPLIES

Re: simple pattern modification

Siemens Phenom Siemens Phenom
Siemens Phenom

The issue is that this type of formula solution will require some sort of conditional logic (if-then, etc.).

The Variable table currently does not support inline conditional operators.  Therefore in order to get conditional logic you will need to use either an external Excel spreadsheet or a VB .bas file.

If your concern is with keeping an external file linked to the model you could [theoretically] consider using the Binder functionality to embed the external file into Solid Edge:

http://docs.plm.automation.siemens.com/tdoc/se/108/help/#uid:index#goto:importing_exporting_files:bi...

Phenom
Phenom

I have explained how to use IF THEN statement using ABS function in this topic:

https://community.plm.automation.siemens.com/t5/Solid-Edge-Forum/Variables-with-if-then-rules/m-p/29...

It will be a bit complicated but i'm sure that is possible to do what you need by that method.

let me know if u need more help in the use of it for your case.

Phenom
Phenom

...or wait till ST 9 is released which will support IF-THEN in the variable table Smiley Happy

Ah I wasn't aware it could embed them like that.  Thats handy.

I tried to copy a pattern dim link from the variable table to excel and although it updates, its unusable.  It comes in as text and I cannot use it in a formula. var's seems to work but dim's do not

I'm mathematically challenged and the ABS functions are beyond my comprehension

Esteemed Contributor
Esteemed Contributor

fabricationdesigns wrote:

Ah I wasn't aware it could embed them like that.  Thats handy.

I tried to copy a pattern dim link from the variable table to excel and although it updates, its unusable.  It comes in as text and I cannot use it in a formula. var's seems to work but dim's do not

You could create a var and make it equal to a dim.

Bruce Shand
ST9 MP10 - Insight - Win10 - K4200

Phenom
Phenom

fabricationdesigns wrote:

The distance between the patterned holes should never exceed 12" and never be less than 9 or so inches.

From 9" to 12" hole distance there will more solutions, how will you choose the preferred one ?

I have made this simple test part, changing the L variables the numbers of hole will change according to the "hole_min_distance" variable

That's exactly what I was trying to accomplish! Thank you. The exact distance between the holes isn't really a preference, they just cannot exceed 12". I just found that limiting them at 9" min meant that the pattern could reset closer to 12 with an added hole

I hate to be a pain Fiorini but is there any way to change the formulas to keep the pattern closer to 12".  Having it drop down to 9" greatly overcompensates the amount of holes needed on longer parts.  I've tried playing with the formulas myself but I always seem to mess it up and end up with spacings that can go over 12"