solid edge for metal sheet stamping

Experimenter
Experimenter

Hello, I've been searching for the right tools for a small workshop that produces metal sink. Autoform seems to be the perfect match but there is no online version and the upfront cost is not affordable for a small workshop.

I've been looking at Solidworks as well as one shape. SW doesn't deal with metal deformation (stretching...) using the forming stamp feature and Onshape doesn't have anything for staping process.

What about solid edge?

Witch online version will fullfill this function?

I guess that none of the traditional CAD software can deal with metal stamping including.

So what about if I give up on the deformation and focus only on the stamping process.

Will it be fast and easy to make new design?

Or maybe I should considere Rhino?

Thanks to share your point of view.

6 REPLIES

Re: solid edge for metal sheet stamping

Esteemed Contributor
Esteemed Contributor

Hi there @fraggle,

There is a tool that was introduced back in ST7.....you might find the "Blank Body" command may suffice for your needs. It is only available in either "Classic" or "Premium" [maybe Student Edition?] licenses of Solid Edge.

I have not actually used it myself, so can't comment on the exact work flow....but I bet there are other users on this forum, that have.

https://community.plm.automation.siemens.com/t5/Solid-Edge-Blog/Two-Sheet-Metal-Wonders/ba-p/33026 

2016-11-10.png

https://docs.plm.automation.siemens.com/tdoc/se/109/se_help/#uid:index#goto:create_sheet_metal_part:...

Sean Cresswell
Design Manager Streetscape Limited
Solid Edge ST10 [MP2] Classic [x2 seats]
Windows 10

Experimenter
Experimenter

thanks,

first of all, thanks for the link.

The product is done in 3 pass and not in 1 so the SE model won't be 100% accurate compare to the physical product.

Anyway at least I can give it a try if I find my way into SE User interface.

Honored Contributor
Honored Contributor

Dig into the dimple tool for sheet metal. It may help you get close quickly.

Attached is a screen shot of a sink I had to model quickly to design a place for on a trailer.

Phenom
Phenom

Hi @fraggle,

As power users @SeanCresswell @12GAGE have already mentioned Solid Edge has some nice tool for sheetmetal stamping.

I've recorded a video about one of my favorite proccess:

BR,

Imics
http://solidedgest.wordpress.com/

Esteemed Contributor
Esteemed Contributor

As always @Imics, your answers & especially, your video's, are just so amazing! A great treasure for Solid Edge & users alike, my friend.

Sean Cresswell
Design Manager Streetscape Limited
Solid Edge ST10 [MP2] Classic [x2 seats]
Windows 10

Honored Contributor
Honored Contributor

Thank you for the menu's in English Imic's. I wish I had the time to learn SE in more depth.

Expensive tooling for that kind of a design work. I'm limited to very simple tooling.