steel but no steel

I made a custom material table.

Now all my old and new parts made of steel are blue...

When I open the part, reasign the material, the color is correct.

Movie:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9plMvXXgECQ&feature=youtube_gdata

Any idea how to avoid the extra "open - asign material again"?

...........................................................................................................
Solid Edge ST9 & AutoCAD 2018 user
8 REPLIES

Re: steel but no steel

I've had a lot of parts from previous version change color as well.

Kyle

Kyle Joiner
IPA LLC
ST9 MP1

If you completely close and reopen Solid Edge, does this go away? I have seen this same behavior and color in assemblies, and that fixes it...

-Dylan Gondyke

I have this from day 1, so SE is closed a lot in the meanwhile, thanks anyway.

Joris

...........................................................................................................

same problem here.
I have fixed it by opening the main assembly with Property Manager - Sort it by material - re-select a material of a part - copy paste it for the others.
For now it works, but it would be great if this can be done automatically.
-------
Daniël Schuiling
Solid Edge ST7
Teamcenter 10

Joris,

As much as I love everything in ST7 and even what development has done with Materials Table, the way colors are represented is really a crap shoot at best.  It has always been a weak link in SE and I feel nothing has changed in ST7.

I've requested that Face Styles be updated for many years, and I know this going to be worked on for ST7, but my guess is they only got so far with it.

The problem is that this is "trivial stuff" in realm of things. But as much as it's never a show stopper problem, it does refelct poorly on the product.

User frustration reflects poorly on the overall product. Let's hope they finally get to bringing Face Style into the 21rst century.

Here's an example that I ran into over the weekend.... The audio mic was off so the first few moments seem useless but I'm describing the problem. But you'll eventually see is what's wrong with how Face Styles and Material Tables doesn't really work that well.

This is an imported part from McMaster Carr, which I set as Stainless Steel. You'll see it's stock from the Material Table with textures on, etc. yet it refuses to behave.

http://screencast.com/t/g40lq8bvli

As a test go into Solid Edge options.

On the Colors TAB:

- Set the Active part color from "Default" (Blue) to "SE 2007" (White)

- Open your assemblies that have this issue and see if the part colors change.

If they do this indicates that these parts do NOT have a color/style assigned to them in Color Manager. (Located on the View TAB in SE Part/Sheet Metal)

Parts that do not have a color assigned default to the Active Part color display.

If this is the case you may want to check your templates and make sure there is a style assigned to the Part in color manager,

Assigning a material to a part sets this part style based on the material you select. As pointed out earlier doing this from ASM will set the color when a material is assigned rather than having to open all the parts.

We changed the Active Part color default to Blue in ST7 (From white) so the part displays better in the parts library preview and on white backgrounds.

Hope this helps.

Thanks,

Art

[ Edited ]

Hi

If I understand right .... I used to have this problem in past versions ... face styles from one to next version changed a lot ..... People here, in that time, gave a hint about use an external application inside SE folder, that reassign automatically the materials and their appearances all over the SE files (part and assemblies) . It used to work automatically, similar the Revision Manager ... But I dont remember the name and not so sure if this is available on ST7, due to the 'new' material table logics.

EDIT:  I think it is 'OpenSave.exe'  application, inside C:\Program Files\Solid Edge ST7\Custom\OpenSave\bin .... And there is a checkbox there for 'Update 3D Styles' , that I believe can help on this situation.

---------------------------------
Hilario, Flavio
Industrial Designer
ST8 / Win7 / Win8

OK, a new attempt...

Look at this bolt:

http://youtu.be/kmwZPKwqtgU

The treath is correct from the past, the steel color is overruled by the blue color.

This happens with almost all materials. (the blue overrule)