step-bending/bump forming large radius.....easier way?

I've got parts that need to be hit with multiple bends to form the desired radius of the finished part. Up to this point, I've sketched my radius, then measured the arc length of what I need, divided that by how many hits I think will work, and then draw each of those lines. There has to be an easier, more user-friendly way to do this, but I can't find any information in my searches.

Any suggestions? Here's a link to explain what I'm trying to do, but without using a pencil & eraser, or individual lines drawn in Solid Edge.

http://www.thefabricator.com/article/bending/bumping-up-large-radius-bends

ST8 MP9
Go FAST, or go home.
6 REPLIES

Re: step-bending/bump forming large radius.....easier way?

Hi there,

I do this in a couple of different ways, depending how I want the model to appear, but, I suspect you'll want to begin by using the "Lofted Flange" option [see: TriangulatedLoft.psm] as it'll be the easiest to achieve the result you're looking for.

Alternatively you could draw evenly distributed line segments [see: SteFolded.psm] that fit the curve, and the model will reflect exactly that look.

Both will give you ability to easily callout the bending information at draft level.

Sean Cresswell
Design Manager Streetscape Limited
Solid Edge ST10 [MP0] Classic [x2 seats]
Windows 10

Smiley Sad I'm using ST4, so can't view your samples. Regardless, I've used lofted for bump-forming with tapered parts, and I've sketched multiple segments and used contour flanges. Both have their place in things that I use daily.

But, I'm looking to improve the manufacturing process of some parts that have been sketched up with over two dozen line segments. I feel guilty spending 1/2 to 1 hour working on a simple sheetmetal part, and then having to go back and adjust all over to try and find a better end result. You shouldn't have to spend 2 minutes on a sheetmetal part this basic, in my opinion. I've used CAM software that would do it in that time, and it was 20 year old software.

I guess if that's the best there is, then it is what it is. Just seems when you use contour flanges and draw a 2" radius, and your material settings say 1" bend radius, I thought the software might help out a little more.

ST8 MP9
Go FAST, or go home.

The Polygon by Center drawing command may help with the drawing of all the segments in a Contour Flange.

LMGi
www.TLMGi.com

The Polygon is a little better, just a bummer you can't go back and change the quantity of segments, or not that I've found yet. It's definately closer to what I'm looking for, and something I didn't know about. Thanks for the suggestion, it's a step closer.

ST8 MP9
Go FAST, or go home.

If you are looking for a segmented bend to fold for example some sort of conic section Solid Edge Sheet Metal provides the Ordered Lofted Flange command. In the options for this command you have the Bending Method which allow the use of user specified triangulation to develop the bend as a series of folds.

This video should make it clear.

(view in My Videos)

Cheers

Mark

Thanks for the vid, there's a couple things that I might be able to incorporate with what I'm doing.  I'm not making a cone, it would be more of a cylinder, but should be able to apply in the same manner.

ST8 MP9
Go FAST, or go home.