Solved! Go to solution

supporessed features in part that I want turned on in assembly

Is there a way, or function in ST, to have suppressed features in a part "unsuppressed" in an assembly?  I modeled a purchased part and one of the "features" can actually be cut off or left on during assembly.  It all depends on the customers specs.

I have this feature on the part model due to some space issues that we encounter occasionally.  I suppressed the feature in the part model, but want to know if I can show it in an assembly without doing an assembly cut?  I can't find a function anywhere that alows this.  Since it isn't a part in the assembly, I can't hide it and create a config.

5 REPLIES

Re: supporessed features in part that I want turned on in assembly

a couple ways I think to do this:

1. Family of Parts - results in 3 PAR files... The Master and the 2 members which would be the designed part and the assembled part.
  2. Part Copy - create a new part file, insert the as designed part and cut off the piece you do not want and then use this part in assembly
  3. Simplified Part - As long as you are removing faces that can still heal into a Solid, you can use the Simplified Part in your assembly - Beware that there are global settings that can change which is loaded though... Not really the correct solution.
  4. Multi-Body modeling.  Split off the piece that is removed and make it a Construction Body.  NOTE: Construction Bodies do not show by default in Assemblies or Draft, but can be optionally shown.  This may be the most elegant solution but you will need to remember to show the Construction Body in your Draft to completely document the part.
Ken Grundey
Production: ST9 MP6
Testing: ST10

Hello,

If the part has suppressed features that you want to toggle, you might try the simplify tool.  Use it in the part file to supress or hide features.  When you are in the assembly, you can right click on the part and choose whether you want the designed part (with all features) or the simplified part.

Kyle

Kyle Joiner
IPA LLC
ST9 MP1
Solution
Solution
Accepted by topic author Wayne_B
‎08-26-2015 04:32 AM

You can create a suppression variable in the part.

1. In the part, right-click on the feature and choose <Add Suppression Variable>.
  2. Then make the part an adjustable part and choose the suppression variable you just created.
  3. In the assembly go into the variable table and create a new scalar variable for each instance of the part that is in there.  The value will be either 1 for suppressed or 0 for unsuppressed.
  4. For each instance of the part make it an adjustable part and choose the appropriate variable in the assembly's variable table that you just created.

In this way, you can have multiple instances of a part in the assembly with features either turned on or off as you wish.

See attached picture.

Good suggestion Chris.  I forgot about that one.

Ken Grundey
Production: ST9 MP6
Testing: ST10

Hi.

Is there something similar to add suppression variable in Synchronus mode?