texture scaling

Valued Contributor
Valued Contributor

I'm modeling a brick building and created a custom texture (based on photo of a brick wall) to represent the brick. It looks pretty good, but I've run into a snag.  There are many walls of different size that need this applied, and a texture that looks correct on one wall is distorted on another.   Is there a way to do this that doesn't required creating a custom texture (and scaling) for each wall? 

Thanks!

Pat

5 REPLIES

Re: texture scaling

Honored Contributor
Honored Contributor

That kind of stuff is what rendering software is for and why texture quality is very important. You have to make patterns that look good at the repeat lines, easier stated than done. 

Valued Contributor
Valued Contributor

I have a pattern that looks good at the repeat lines.  The problem is my texture is based on photo of a wall that is exactly 4 bricks wide and 10 bricks tall (33" x26").  If I apply it to a surface the same size (33"x26") is looks good (with the bricks correctly proportioned).  If I apply it to a larger wall, everything gets stretched to fit the larger area unless I change the scaling accordingly. With the texture properly scaled, it again looks good. The problem is that I have a dozen or more wall areas all of different size that need this texture.  The only way I know to do this now so they all look correct is to create a custom texture for each one using the same jpeg, but with different scaling to match the area.  That's rather tedious. I was hoping for an easier way, but I'm not sure there is one.  Ideally it would be nice to specify the size the jpeg image represents and let SE figure out the proper scaling based the area it's applied to.  But it doesn't look like that's possible. 

Thanks for the response.

Solution Partner Phenom Solution Partner Phenom
Solution Partner Phenom

I had good luck with these settings and this image. Use Part Painter.

Needed two styles. One is just rotated 90 deg.

Bricks.PNG

Bricks2.PNG

LMGi
www.TLMGi.com

Valued Contributor
Valued Contributor

Jason, That brick texture looks pretty good.  But I have a brick texture that looks good also when properly sized.  The problem is that the X and Y sizing values have to be adjusted for EVERY surface the texture is applied to in order for it to look right.  And if a surface dimension changes, then it has to be adjusted again.  That get's VERY tedious to keep up with.  I was hoping for a better solution, but I don't think there is one.  So I'm just making do for now.

If anyone had any ideas to better deal with this, please chime in.  Thanks!

Solution Partner Phenom Solution Partner Phenom
Solution Partner Phenom

Understood.

I did that block with ONLY two styles for all 6 sides and I can change the size to any size I want and it looks perfect.

The only reason you may need a second style is if the bricks seem off 90deg.

Two styles only.

LMGi
www.TLMGi.com