Cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Re: the new ST9 application button

Genius
Genius

I have added heaps of buttons to the quick access toolbar. Sure, we all have different preferences, but I think I have added some basic ones that really just should be there.

One problem with software such as Solid Edge, is that there is a significant financial investment, but also a very large skills investment in it, so jumping to another software platform is a very big thing.

How is this relevant in this context? It is relevant in that the software can get away with a lot of 'bad stuff' without having users jump ship. I'm not saying anything like I want to jump ship because of the application button, just pointing out that with a fairly locked-in user base, the software has a lot of rough edges compared to more 'consumer' focused software.

For money making software like this, I would have easy to use over pretty 7 days a week, so I'm not complaining about style.

You might think at first glance that someone that uses the same piece of software most days would be in a really good place to comment on the changes from version to version and suggest improvements. I find myself though quickly forgetting what the last version was like, and just sort of noting things that frustrate me and blindly praying that it will be better in the next version. The enhancement request system might be better than it was, but it seemed a fairly disconnected process (maybe just for those of us outside the US).

Anyway, that's my whinge over, I'll probably come back and complain again in another 2 years...

Valued Contributor
Valued Contributor

When you press the application button, the screen changes
Windows 8 is like the Start menu.
This tasted frustration and there was a change in the start menu on Win10.
The same is true for Edge.
It is not desirable that the screen is changed when the application is pressed.
It only causes confusion and inconvenience.

Phenom
Phenom

Couldn't agree more. I'm ok with the silly window that's unlike anything else but don't appreciate the wait. The sluggish response (application button) gets my goat every single day. 

When we were shopping for a new CAD system, we tested both SW and SE. SW was miles ahead in responsiveness. Please fix this issue soon!

Harri

Phenom
Phenom

@Grundey wrote:

Nothing more frustrating than thinking you missed the button so you click again and then it finally slides out, and then slides back in because you in fact clicked it twice but it took several seconds to activate... Smiley Mad

It happens to me every so often, in fact I usually hit a recent file and Solid Edge open it, so more time added to the already frestration waiting time.

Everytime you press the application button the pathfinder is hidden (I notice this because I keep pathfinder in a separated window on the secondary screen), maybe this continuos show\hide doesn't help the app button performance.

Creator
Creator

Yep, really useless! 

Builder
Builder

Agreed, don't like the new button behaviour, wastes a lot of time and is freustrating. I thought maybe it was just me using it wrong.

Gears Phenom Gears Phenom
Gears Phenom

Guys,

Okay, I understand your frustration. Yes, this UI is not so flexible as... But Why don't you customize your UI, why don't you build your own tab instead of using "app button"?

I have built "Start menu" so I don't have to use what MS fluent UI provides... This is just a suggestion.

BR,

Imics
http://solidedgest.wordpress.com/

Gears Esteemed Contributor Gears Esteemed Contributor
Gears Esteemed Contributor

@Imics,  That's a fine idea but I might reply that why should we have to "fix" what wasn't previously broken? I happen to use the quick access toolbar for this stuff so it's not a huge deal on my pc. In fact, with the old app button you used to be able to right-click a feature and tell it to add to the quick access toolbar. Not anymore.

As someone who not infrequently sets up or helps other users on their machine it's nice to have the built-in features be well-designed so I don't have to choose between customizing the interface on other machines or deal with the native crappy interface.

Bruce Shand
SE2019 MP4 - Insight - Win10 - K4200

Genius
Genius

Imics, I have customised the Quick Access Toolbar to 'get quick access' to things rather than using the application button. Your solution looks very good. There is a bigger question though.

It's not a case of we are being forced to use the application button, but it is a case of new features being less usable than old ones, so why was it changed?

There is a difference between customisation, and restoring basic functionality.

For me, the following should not require you jump to a different screen:

1. Creating new files
  2. Opening files
  3. Printing a drawing
  4. Saving a file
  5. Acess Basic settings

In fact as I look at the new Application Button, is there actually anything on there that really needs a separate laggy screen to get to? I'm not convinced. Maybe there is some new features that really benefit from a separate screen, but none that come to mind.

Has anyone quantified that this new app button actually simplifies interfacing with the software? Or was it done just to copy the latest MS office stuff?? I avoid MS office as best as I can, one reason is that I find it's user interface unpleasant. So if SE is trying to imitate that, then for me, it is REALLY backing the wrong horse.

I remember the big issues when SE changed after V20 I think, and went with the whole MS Office side scrolling tabs menu thing. I thought it was a step backward in that there was a lot of subtle refinement that the menu bar had up till then that was washed down the drain, but also it was poorly executed with silly stupid things. Who can forget the 'Mileti moments', and for good reason. Bob was harsh but right on the money.

Some people buy a new car and customise the wheels to make it suit their custom tastes. What if almost everyone who bought a particular car though had to change the wheels because the car simply did not perform very well with the wheels it came with, and actually worked worse than the previous model? That would be madness, yet this is what I am suggesting here with SE.

Valued Contributor
Valued Contributor

Dear imics
saw your video well.
I did not try to customize it.
I learned a little while watching your video.
Thank you.