time saver: Revision manager

I have a small request that would save a lot time:

When an assembly is opened in SE you can choose to open this assembly in "View and markup". Once opened in "View and markup" (who uses this??) we can open this assembly in revision manager.

Why not add the option "open in revision manager" directly in SE?

...........................................................................................................
Solid Edge ST9 & AutoCAD 2017 user
18 REPLIES

Re: time saver: Revision manager

I guess the reason is: once the assembly is open in Solid Edge, it is marked as read-only in Revision Manager, and viceversa. So the command to open the assembly in RM from the asm environment could result in the impossibility to make changes to the assembly itself from RM.

First of all, you can open an assembly "read only":

second:

The possibility could exist that the "open in revision manager" goes together with "close the assembly/part/... and open in revision manager.

So, my wish still stands. Man Tongue

...........................................................................................................
Solid Edge ST9 & AutoCAD 2017 user

Joris.

It is correct this would be a nice time saver / enhancement.

Best way to process this, is to fill an ER via the correct channels.
Once the ER is filled and the ER number is known, provide the forum with both the ER number as well as the ER description. This will allow other to file similar ER’s and ask their ER to be linked to you ER. The more ER request with +/- the same request, the more changes we have to get it onto the shortlist for future releases.

--------------------------------------------------

Marc Boom
marc.boom@eurotechbenelux.com
www.eurotechbenelux.com / www.quayquip.com

[ Edited ]

This option is already there in Revision manager.

Start View and Markup > click the Application icon > Options > Default Environment > Revision Manager.

Edit:

Not sure if this works when opening from SE though.

HP Z420 16GB RAM
Quadro K4000
ST7 MP10 on Windows 7 Pro 64.

I have the option in V&M / RevMan set to have Revision Manager as default.

Still, using the option to open in V&M in ASM environment will open the ASM in V&M and not in RevMan as you would expect setting the option in V&M.

Did a quick test and it opened the ASM in V&M ;-(

Marc Boom

"When an assembly is opened in SE you can choose to open this assembly in "View and markup". Once opened in "View and markup" (who uses this??) we can open this assembly in revision manager."

Joris,

You're being too kind on this.

This is a perfect example of how many Management tools in SE are Developed with anyone other then the core users in mind. It starts with the name "Revision Manager" That's the perfect name, but why in God's name does "View and Markup" become the default environment? Can you Revise anything in in the V&M environment... NOPE. Can you Manage anything in V&M... NOPE.  So why call it one thing then default to something very few people use it for.

They should at least give the user preference in the Options area, or make this Sticky. Personally I'd prefer the SPLIT these into to two separate programs.

Again RM is a very good tool and I use it everyday, and this is the only reason to look over these foibles. I'm hoping the ST9 goes far in giving the REAL user more to say in this powerful and useful tool.

Bob

Not to make excuses, but if you already have the models open in Solid Edge should you also be doing things in RM ?

HP Z420 16GB RAM
Quadro K4000
ST7 MP10 on Windows 7 Pro 64.

Well....

There are occasions you have an ASM open in SE and want to revise it (or parts of it).

It would be helpful not having to go back to WinExpl and RMB the effected ASM to open it in RM.

Having the option to open an ASM directly from SE in RM would save time.
Setting the ASM as read only in the same process or closing the ASM in the same process would overcome file lock issues.

Also the fact, in bigger ASM structures, being able to open sub-level ASM’s in RM directly would be a welcome enhancement.
If this would be possible, a reread function in ASM would be necessary to have the new structure loaded in SE.

We as a fact use imprecise revision management, so this way of working would benefit us well…

Marc Boom

[ Edited ]

marcboom wrote:

Well....

There are occasions you have an ASM open in SE and want to revise it (or parts of it).

It would be helpful not having to go back to WinExpl and RMB the effected ASM to open it in RM.

Actually, you can avoid to go back to WinExpl: it is enough to make right-click over the file icon in the SE open-file window. Doing this you save the time needed to browse the file-system directories, because most likely you are already in the right directory.