Cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

trying to resize assembly from step file

Builder
Builder

This is a challenge to me.

I have this step file that I have obtained from a vendor.  The model is DTS 3851 in case that you need the dxf, step and pdf files for reference.

https://www.pfannenbergusa.com/stainless_steel_cooling_units

I have opened the step files with my SE st9 and have no problem there.  The parts all work and have them saved.  When I want to "assemble" it to another item such as an enclosure, this DTS 3851 is HUGE and my enclosure is really small, only 72" tall.  I need some direction on where to look and how to resize this cooler.

Thank you all!

11 REPLIES

Re: trying to resize assembly from step file

Esteemed Contributor
Esteemed Contributor

@Lex-luthor  I could not find the model you listed on the site link you provided.  I did download and convert another model with ST10 and the resulting size in SE was correct with the dimensions listed in their specification document.

Ken

Production: ST10 MP5
Testing: SE 2019

Builder
Builder

@KennyG

https://www.pfannenbergusa.com/stainless_steel_cooling_units

DTS 3185, I am using SE ST9, we do not have ST10 installed yet. 

I've been poking aroung in just about everything in the program and have not found that majic door to do this with. 

Builder
Builder

@KennyG

When I open thier step file into SE as a part, it shows as 317.760 inches instead of 11.88 inches

Pioneer
Pioneer

By chance did you use and Inch template instead of a metric template when you imported the Step file?

Builder
Builder

@rbhaskin

Tried many of the templates that are labeled Ansi Inch and others that we have setup that are in inch increments.  No luck there.

Builder
Builder

@rbhaskin

Ansi Metric scale, same thing

Builder
Builder

@rbhaskin

Ansi Metric scale, same thing

Esteemed Contributor
Esteemed Contributor

@Lex-luthor  It appears their exports to STEP are incorrect.  I initially translated DTS_3031_SS and it came in correct.  When I tried DTS_3185, it was scaled way too big.

It came in as a single part, so to scale in ST9 you can insert that part in a new file using Insert Part Copy and can scale it in that command.

In ST10 there is a Scale Body command that would allow you to do it in the translated part file.

Ken

Production: ST10 MP5
Testing: SE 2019

Builder
Builder

@KennyG

I found that command, but I think that I might be missing something along the way.