Cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Re: using custom property tables

Yeah sir you are absolutely right i am also using custom properties and variables but i am wondering what property table command can do .. but as @Tushar sir says its helpful to call api ...

Honored Contributor
Honored Contributor

It is imposible to place any kind of variable into any single cell of a table. This is one of my pet peave problems with SE.

All the table are set up so that you can use varaibles as one column or row in a table that list things like parts, holes, etc.

Excel does not work as a "work around" because you can't auto update the information from excel to anything in draft.

I have resorted to useing old school lines of text (Annotation) to display variable information.

Gears Honored Contributor Gears Honored Contributor
Gears Honored Contributor

Universal availability of 'linked' variables would be a huge improvement in Solid Edge, but this will also call for a major overhaul of the framework it is based on, having roots in the earliest versions, so I don't hope this  will make it into any foreseeable release.

The recent changes to the variable table are mostly cosmetic, except for the IF-THEN clause which will open up several new possibilities and bring ease of use for many who did it in a 'nerdy' way in previous versions.

IMHO many of the features that users complain about are already present in Solid Edge except they need to be polished and made available in a a easy-to-use way.

Valued Contributor
Valued Contributor

Hello @12GAGE , hope you are well and thank you for sharing your work process.

Can you please explain or show a video how you do that?

I am little confused with  @Imics post with video where he mentioned that "unfortunately you can not query these properties in assy or draft environment."

We think your work process will help us a lot and we were searching for this solution for an issue.

Looking forward for your reply.

Regards,

Aslam

Gears Esteemed Contributor Gears Esteemed Contributor
Gears Esteemed Contributor

@aslam wrote:

Hello @12GAGE , hope you are well and thank you for sharing your work process.

Can you please explain or show a video how you do that?

AFAIK@12GAGE stopped participating in the forum about a year ago.

"I am little confused with  @Imics post with video where he mentioned that "unfortunately you can not query these properties in assy or draft environment."

It means just that. They are not normal properties like Document Number, Title, etc. and therefore you can't use the query command in an assembly or capture them in text in a draft, for example, like you can other properties.

Bruce Shand
SE2019 MP5 - Insight - Win10 - K4200

Hi @bshand 

I think Custom Proeprties can be used in Call Out Text  equivilent to any other System Proeprties.

The problem of this psot - as far as I have understood - is, that You can not use any proeprty within a cell table.

Neither a Custom Property nor a System Property.

This is one of the "hotest" enhancement request for development.

And should be achieved easily without big efforts.

regards
Wolfgang

@hawcad, Of course custom properties can but these "properties" you make for the property table per @Imics' video are not like system or custom properties. That's what I was referring to.

Bruce Shand
SE2019 MP5 - Insight - Win10 - K4200