Cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Re: variable driven values in BOMs

Gears Esteemed Contributor Gears Esteemed Contributor
Gears Esteemed Contributor

Well, you indicate in your posts that having only one style is some sort of virtue and that multiple styles of BOMs in your template is to be avoided for some reason.

I simply don't understand that. Drafts are not used for just parts generally. Many users require more than one BOM format. Sometimes they need a cutlist, sometimes they need an itemized BOM, sometimes they are used to indicate material and part number on a part draft. There are potentially at least as many permutations as there are companies. Having multiple styles of BOMs in a template is not problematic and in fact, is a solution. A "path of least resistance".

That's all. Just curious.

Bruce Shand
SE2019 MP5 - Insight - Win10 - K4200
Highlighted

Honored Contributor
Honored Contributor

I show all of that in a single list.

To me, part lists do the following:

1. Item number

2. Part number (raw material or finished part)

3. Part name (half generic with sheet metal)

4. Cut lengths

5. Material descriptions (sheets, plates, extrusions)

6. Weight of each item

To get even more specific, If there is a cut length and material description, it shows a part must be fabricated. If not, they pick a part off the shelf.

Another one of my strange rules is that I fully define each part on it's own. Referencing a hole called out on the assembly of the parts is not enough.

One thing I like to do, but is not required, is list what parts have details and what parts are fully detailed by it's description.

To me, this is standard operating procedure for steel fabrication drawings.

Now if you are doing architecture, that's another can of worms.

I can see many reasons why someobdy would desire multiple BOM's for different uses. My question is why would anyobdy use more then one if just to handle varius formats of parts. Format the parts for the Parts list, not the other way around.

All I can say is, outside your bubble, there are many folks doing different things which sometimes require multiple BOM styles.

Bruce Shand

Gears Phenom Gears Phenom
Gears Phenom

Is there any way to do this where it will always display the designated amount of decimal places? Like where a part is 9.500" and it displays 9.5" instead? Because I like uniformity and hate when the number of decimal places varies.

Solid Edge 2019
Windows 7 Professional
Nvidia K2200 & Intel Xeon
"You're doing it wrong"

Honored Contributor
Honored Contributor

No. There is not. I have tried various things with no solution to the problem.

What caused the problem is each portion of SE is programmed by separate teams. Some teams get all the formatting details included, other don't.

Frames, PMI variables, and sheet metal all use different sets of programming and results in problems like this. I find it's the frame members to don't follow the drafting switch (suppressing trailing 0's)

@nominus38 wrote:

Is there any way to do this where it will always display the designated amount of decimal places? Like where a part is 9.500" and it displays 9.5" instead? Because I like uniformity and hate when the number of decimal places varies.

Parts lists apparently follow the unit precision of the parts from which the data is derived. So if you have several parts in a parts list and some parts precision is set a .xx and some at .xxx the parts list will display different precisions accordingly.

It would seem a nice enhancement if you could set precision at the draft level, or the assy level, or in the parts list style settings rather than having it only set at the part level.

Bruce Shand

Phenom
Phenom

It would also be nice if you could define the units and force a round up in the quantity.

We use frames for sealing strips etc and always have to overwrite the quantity in the parts list because the column is too narrow for more than 3 or 4 characters. If we could round up (for example) 9400mm to 10m it would be a big benefit.

HP Z420 16GB RAM
Quadro K4000
SE2019 MP5 on Windows 10 Pro 64.

@beachcomber, I have to ask: why not increase the width of the parts list column?

Bruce Shand

Legend
Legend
I would love to have a greater than 1 rounding such as weights, when dealing with something that is 23,983 lbs we would just round it to 24,000 lbs same as 48.7 lbs would be 50 lbs.

Honored Contributor
Honored Contributor

It appears significant digits should be the controls over weight. 3 to 5 significant figures is all people want to see no matter how large or small the part.

Example of 3 significant figures: 1.25# or 12,500#