Solved! Go to solution

variable driven values in BOMs

Is there any way to prevent units from showing in a BOM when the values are derived from exposed variables?

If they are not from variables but are instead direct values like mass there is a setting in Options/General to toggle units.

Bruce Shand
ST9 MP7 - Insight - Win10 - K4200
21 REPLIES

Re: variable driven values in BOMs

[ Edited ]

I do this in a way most people hate on the forum.

If I have a sheet metal part. The cutX and cutY must be exposed to make the draft. And parts list displays the gage for the material. the draft of that file displays the part number of the finished part.

Then I make an assembly of that single part. Then I assign the part number to the assembly model. That part also no longer displays the cut length and gage, but instead displays the finished part number of that part.

Then I only insert the assembly into the next level assembly.

This allows me to only have a single place holder for part names and number in every file and allows me to only have a single format for the parts list.

Solution
Solution
Accepted by topic author bshand
‎01-15-2016 04:34 PM

Bruce,

Is this what you're looking for:

Kevin Grayson
Solid Edge Technical Consultant
kevin.grayson@siemens.com

[ Edited ]

Thanks! I searched the BOM options several times and it was hiding in plain sight the whole time.

Bruce Shand

[ Edited ]

@12GAGE

I don't think your post has anything to do with my question but:

"This allows me to only have a single place holder for part names and number in every file and allows me to only have a single format for the parts list."

Why do you care if you have more than one BOM format? Why not just have a style for each need?

Bruce Shand

[ Edited ]

So that no matter what part is used, it can display in the same parts list. I can use any assembly or part I have without having to think about how the part number flow. My only cost is the sheet metal-assembly bit for parts manufactured in house.

From another perspective. I only have one need. To fabricate steel, Sheets, frame, and some "parts"

I misread the original question. I thought you were trying to make the numbers not show up at all rather than just without units display.

[ Edited ]

The Format... button is easy to lose sight of, since it does not become enabled even if the property text is selected. The button quite strangely is enabled only when clicked inside the text and is still disabled if the cursor is at the end of the text.

And of course the Format button does not exist in ST7 or earlier, so you have to add those qualifiers manually.

HP Z420 16GB RAM
Quadro K4000
ST7 MP10 on Windows 7 Pro 64.

@12GAGE

"So that no matter what part is used, it can display in the same parts list. I can use any assembly or part I have without having to think about how the part number flow. My only cost is the sheet metal-assembly bit for parts manufactured in house."

I still don't understand why different BOM styles won't work for you but I think I'm throwing in the towel.

Bruce Shand

I don't understand why anybody would want more than one style of parts list. If you set up your parts for that lists format. Any part can be used on any drawing with the same parts lists. That's how I want it. Path of last resistance/easy.

I have very rarely edited my parts lists format over the last year. And only for room, when I do, is typically a permanent change.

To me, the goal of the parts list is to assign numbers/names to each component that makes up the result of the drawing. Why would you ever desire more than one list.

I can see the need for multiple lists if say, some of the components were for electrical controls or civil concrete & rebar.

All I do is steel fabrication drawings and sales drawings. The sales drawing don't include parts lists.