Cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

variable grouping in assembly

Creator
Creator

Hi all, I'm trying to group the main variables that I use for model control from different parts in one place, like assembly variable screen. What is the fastest way?  

Thank you all!

12 REPLIES

Re: variable grouping in assembly

Gears Esteemed Contributor Gears Esteemed Contributor
Gears Esteemed Contributor

@Buscetto  Variable table allows you to sort/filter on the columns including the Comment column.  You could add a specific comment to the variables and then sort/filter based on that comment.

Ken
Production: ST10 MP9, Testing: SE 2019
http://Grundey.blogspot.com

@KennyG  That's what I do. But I'm not even sure what the OP means if it isn't that since he asked about "different parts in one place".

Bruce Shand
ST10 MP10 - Insight - Win10 - K4200

Gears Honored Contributor Gears Honored Contributor
Gears Honored Contributor

Ken's idea should work even if the OP meant peer variables in an assembly for controlling several parts. That is how I see it.

Creator
Creator

Thanks, I try to be more clear: I know how to copy and paste peer variables in the assembly variable screen, so in that way I can see all the dimensions that are important for my model.

My question is: Is there a way to modify them in the same screen? When I copy/paste a variable from part file,I can't modify it in the assembly variable list. It's just a display of the dimension.

@Buscetto, I think using the peer variables dialog is your best bet. You can open the dialog and select the part you want from the screen or pathfinder. And there's a button on it to select the assembly you are working in.

I put the variables and peer variables command in my quick access toolbar but you don't really need more than the peer variables one since it serves both purposes.

Bruce Shand

@Buscetto wrote:

My question is: Is there a way to modify them in the same screen? When I copy/paste a variable from part file,I can't modify it in the assembly variable list. It's just a display of the dimension.

Yes.

Use Copy-Link on the peer variable from a component.

In the assembly, create a new variable with the same/similar name

Then use Paste-Link.

And if it is grayed out in the assembly, do the reverse.

Create a new variable in the assembly with the same/similar name as the one you want to control/update in the part.

Copy-Link from assembly.

Paste-Link to the variable to be controlled/updated in the part.

@Tushar, Good point. However, I find it can present complications when links get messed up for whatever reason or you change variable names or delete variables. Sort of like having a bunch of interpart includes in ordered sketches. I just think having a bunch of links is problematic in general. However, if you must use it for some assemblies then go for it.

Bruce Shand

Agree Bruce.

The variable in the part could potentially be modified from several assemblies.

Creator
Creator

Thanks, doing the reverse is a good solution in my case

Other solution: can I expose main variables in a draft table and make modifications without opening the 3d drawing?