view 3d sketch in draft

PLM World Member Valued Contributor PLM World Member Valued Contributor
PLM World Member Valued Contributor

I attached a part file containing a 3d sketch with some points. I cannot see these points when I make a draft file. I activated all contstruction, tangent lines, but still nothing is shown. Am I missing something?

Thanks

7 REPLIES

Re: view 3d sketch in draft

Esteemed Contributor
Esteemed Contributor

I don't know if this is how it's supposed to behave but SE seems not to display points in draft views. 2D or 3D sketch. Seems like it should but the only way I know is to put small circles at the point locations. Or connect the points with lines. Anything but points.

Bruce Shand
ST9 MP8 - Insight - Win10 - K4200

Phenom
Phenom

Hi,

Unfortunately I don't know any direct ways to show points on drawing view what coming from 3D sketch. A workaround can be the iges file. You have to export your points to iges and import it in drawing, but you need a "small" body.

Here is a video:

BR,

Imics
http://solidedgest.wordpress.com/

Siemens Phenom Siemens Phenom
Siemens Phenom

Just curious:  What is your use case in displaying your points in the Draft file?

Kevin Grayson
Solid Edge Technical Consultant
kevin.grayson@siemens.com

I received this kind of drawing from a customer, there are more files like this in an assembly resulting hundreds of points. I need to design some fixtures using the pattern of these points.

Esteemed Contributor
Esteemed Contributor

But why would you "design" using drafts?

Bruce Shand
ST9 MP8 - Insight - Win10 - K4200

Esteemed Contributor
Esteemed Contributor

Wouldn't it be nice if Solid Edge allowed us to select the points, as pattern input....I tried making a sphere on one point and patterning in both the PAR, and even tried ASM [half accepted it as input, but failed to execute] environment.

This was a show stopper for me in my previous workplace, and we handled all of that activity in Rhino. I hadn't thought about this process for quite some time, but it is a serious flaw in SE's capability. One might say, currently it's a "pointless" exercise. Robot Indifferent

Sean Cresswell
Design Manager Streetscape Limited
Solid Edge ST10 [MP0] Classic [x2 seats]
Windows 10

The assembly drawing has 1700 parts, many of them are just 3d points. To find how many similar patterns is easier in a draft file it is only 2d. At some point I have to exchange some info with my customer and is faster to do it with a draft file.