virtual floor... for shadows and reflections on an assembly

There are these nice effects of shadows and reflections
BUT how can we locate this "virtual floor" precisely ?
is there a solution to attach it to a face of a part ?
let's assume that we have an assembly with a sort of flat ground (which is a part) and we have an another assembly ' moving ' above this flat face... How can we require the shadows and reflections to be on the ground ? 

6 REPLIES

Re: virtual floor... for shadows and reflections on an assembly

Phenom
Phenom
I believe that shadows are now projected under the bottomest part in the assembly.

For you purpose you could use the "drop shadow" option in the "redefine view" panel. It is slower than the other effect but it produce a quite good results.

I'm not aware of any settings on how it appear other than individual face style.

you mean that the projection plane is related to the lowest part ?
lowest in what sense ? in the hierarchy or in its position along the global Z axis ?

it's a bit tricky to really understand how this plane is being placed...

Phenom
Phenom

Virtual plane is place under the lower surface on the Z axis, so if you place a part that simulate the terrain the shadow plane will be underneath it and you will not see any shadow on it.

Anyway the "drop shadow" effect doen't create any shadow on part surface but only on that virtual ground plane.

To have shadows on parts you need to activate it in the "redefine view" panel.

We will try to mod with View overrides but I am not so sure we can get the same effects...

Phenom
Phenom

This is nice eye-candy but not much more then that.

If you want to make beautifull renders you should give Keyshot a try. There you can adjust all these (and much more).

...........................................................................................................
Solid Edge ST10 & AutoCAD 2018.1 user

I agree Keyshot would be the good way

but with the good CPU-GPU... the machine we use lacks power