Cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

what prevents a newly inserted part being moved with the wheel?

Genius
Genius

Hi all

I insert a part into an assembly, just as it is, avoiding any relation by typing ESC after the insertion.

If I now try to move the inserted part, I get a message window called "options for group-relations". It tells me I should decide between 1) do not repare unfulfilled relation 2) repare unfulfilled relation and 3) remove all external relation and add new relations to other components.

But why does this message occur at all, as my impression is, that there are no relations of the newly inserted part at all??

(view in My Videos)

best regards

Hans

9 REPLIES

Re: what prevents a newly inserted part being moved with the wheel?

Gears Esteemed Contributor Gears Esteemed Contributor
Gears Esteemed Contributor

@Hans11  Options are set to appear when command runs.  It does not evaluate the part/sub moved.  There is an option on the bottom of the form to Remember selection and not show the form in the future.  Options can be accessed from Command Bar if needed.

Ken
Production: ST10 MP9, Testing: SE 2019
http://Grundey.blogspot.com

Genius
Genius

Thank You Keny for attending my question.

Unfortunately I do not fully understand Your answer.

I understand, that I can ..

• .. choose  this window not to reappear, by checking the box below.
  • .. select between some repare/replace-options for existing relations.

But I do not understand: What causes the appearance of this window?

• Are there relations existing of the inserted part, which I do not recognize?
  • or doesn't alert this window to some real conflict but only allows to set some switches for general future behavior of the newly inserted part?
  • or ..?

Solution Partner Phenom Solution Partner Phenom
Solution Partner Phenom

The component may not have relations but it may create some if you use the third option.

Move the component against an existing component it will try to create relationships.

It's cool.

LMGi
www.TLMGi.com

Genius
Genius

Hi Jason

So I now understand that in this case the last of my multiple-choice answers "or doesn't alert this window to some real conflict but only allows to set some switches for general future behavior of the newly inserted part?" is the correct one.

This windows sets the behavior of the part regarding relations for the future.

The options mentioned in the window

1. do not repare unfulfilled relation
  2. repare unfulfilled relation and
  3. remove all external relation and add new relations to other components.

relate to existing relations ONLY IF they exist, otherwise it sets the behaviour of the newly inserted part regarding future relations.

Do I understand this correct?

But I still do not understand the consequence of >>>3. "add new relations to other components"<<<

What does it do?

Solution Partner Phenom Solution Partner Phenom
Solution Partner Phenom

Does this help?

(view in My Videos)

LMGi
www.TLMGi.com

Genius
Genius

Thank You for the nice little video. What I see is that the pin behaves like if I had previously chosen the relation-option "insert" for the pin and the whole, after the pin had been moved to a position close enough, to be captured by the hole.

So does this feature activate the automatic choice of the relation "insert" for a part, where I had chosen option 3 of the window?

And could You confirm my first description in my previous post, which I ended with the words "Do I understand this correct?"

Honored Contributor
Honored Contributor

When you "make assembly from part", that first part is automatically located in the assembly cooridnate system in the same location as the parts coordinate system. And that part automatically has the "ground" relationship added.

This only applies to the first part of an assembly. All you need to do is delete the ground relation from the first part.

Genius
Genius

Thank You very much 12GAGE !

I guess that is the point! I learned now, the position of a part in its original coordinate system in the *.par-file is taken as a relation to the new coordinate system of the assembly from the moment it is inserted into an assembly. Every *.par-file inserted into an assembly has a basic relation originating from its position not to other parts but relative to the coordinate system.

(unfortunately this disagrees with my understanding of the post of KennyG .. which I understand that the choice-window occurs not due to the existence of a relation of this part? Who is right?)

I really appreciate to understand the logics of a behaviour and this seems to me a very basic feature in SE. I like that.

best regards

Hans

Highlighted

Gears Esteemed Contributor Gears Esteemed Contributor
Gears Esteemed Contributor

@Hans11  Your understanding is not correct.  As @12GAGE mentions, the first part placed gets a Ground relationship automatically.  That is a mathmatical "anchor" to allow the relationship solver to treat it as "fixed" in space.

Any additional part placed recieves no relationships.  If you use the separate placement window option and interupt the placement of an additional part with ESC, the part will be placed coincident with the assembly origin, but there is no relationship to it.  If you do not use the separate placement window option, the additional part is simply placed wher you clicked the mouse in the graphics window again with no relationships.

If you select a part, Relationships will be shown in the bottom pane of Pathfinder.  Any additional part dropped into an assembly, whether at the origin or not, will have no relationships shown.

The fact that you got the form in the move command you were using is because it comes up by default, not because the part has any relationships.

Ken
Production: ST10 MP9, Testing: SE 2019
http://Grundey.blogspot.com