when try to Replace sub-assembly a with b in assembly, it makes changes to subassembly

Pioneer
Pioneer

I have a Big assembly with some subassemblies.

I open my big assembly and right click on one of the part of subassembly and select More-replace part....It makes changes to my subassembly.

Is there a way that when I try to replace subassembly in assembly it will replace subassembly

Instead of making changes to my subassembly.

Thank you!

(I know it's kind of confusing to read)

7 REPLIES

Re: when try to Replace sub-assembly a with b in assembly, it makes changes to subassembly

Phenom
Phenom

I think you are selecting a part and replacing that within the sub-assembly. What you should be doing is selecting the sub-assembly and replacing that, since that is what you are trying to achieve.

Re: when try to Replace sub-assembly a with b in assembly, it makes changes to subassembly

Pioneer
Pioneer

Yes, thats What I am doing but My question is there a way to stop editing subassemblies in big assembly.

When I am in big assembly, click on any part and select replace option, it should replace that sub assembly and not modify/edit my subassembly in place.

Phenom
Phenom

I don't mean to be difficult, but SE is doing exactly what you are telling it to do when you select a part and click replace. If you want to replace the sub-assembly then select it instead!

With regards preventing unwanted changes, you should use Design Manager to mark parts/assemblies as released which will make them read-only. PLM  systems like Teamcenter will also provide similar functionality.

Phenom
Phenom

Just incase you weren't aware you can select the sub-assembly as a whole from the tree on the left, or hovering over a part and using Quick Pick

Pioneer
Pioneer

Thank you for all the responses, I appriciate it.

I use all these options on regular basis so I am aware of these other ways to do it, but I am asking a differnt question.

Is there a way to stop edit in place for subassemlies when I open big assembly?

When I am working in big assembly, I want to make changes to that assembly only and not the subassemblies in it. 

similar to option of edit part in place 

Many of my coworkers, uses this command to replace subassembly by simply right clicking on part, which creates a problem so I am trying to avoid it by not selecting option of edit in place for subassemblies. 

Thank you

Phenom
Phenom

"Is there a way to stop edit in place for subassemlies when I open big assembly?"

No, you can not disable the 'Open' or 'Edit' commands from an assembly.

You can, however, prevent unwanted changes from being saved by setting the status of files to Released (applies to everyone) or In Work which will allow you only to make changes.

HP Z420 16GB RAM
Quadro K4000
ST7 MP10 on Windows 7 Pro 64.

Pioneer
Pioneer

Ok, So I found out and kind of recall that previous version of solid edge had this option of edit in place subassembly but in new version it got removed. I hope they put it bak again so I have better control over assembly.