Cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

3D Rendering Tips in KeyShot: Geometry Preparation

Community Manager Community Manager
Community Manager

The foundation for a great render is the geometry itself. Like fellow render ethusiast and experienced KeyShot user Bill Gould once eloquently told me: "If you can start with an exceptional model, the rest is easy." 

This post comes from expert @MagnusS in the forum. He has been using Keyshot for 3 to 4 years and was recently asked to share advice on how to create beautiful, realistic looking 3D renders every time. We will start here today with his tips for preparing the geometry for an exceptional model. 

Geometry Preparations

So, what do we mean by exceptional geometry? Well, first of all, it's all about the details, and more details, and even more details:

• Edge Blends/Fillets
    A simple trick for heavily increasing the visual impact of your geometry is adding edge blends to almost every sharp edge there is (unless, of course, we are talking about a knife edge or similar). However, sometimes, you don't have the luxury, or even the time, to add edge blends to every geometry on your design. That's where we can use the Radius function within KeyShot to add the detail. The video below demonstrates this:

If you look at this higher resolution image, you can see the impact of the added radius:

no_radius_vs_radius.png

• Component Air / Geometry Gaps
    Another related geometry visual booster is adding gaps in the geometry. This is something which I know is a no-no for engineered models, but it can prove as another geometry enhancer which will boost the visual impact. The reason for this is that a small gap emphasizes shadow effects in that particular area. Have a look at the legs for this (yet another) Lego guy below:

gap.png

Now, I've emphasized the effect on this image. Keep in mind that we have an edge blend to the right image, which makes it seem like it is a tiny gap. If it weren't, they would look like they were one single part.

Of course, it is always better to have these two aspects of geometry preparation done in context of the model itself, but I know that this is not a luxury that everyone has.

Community Manager, Solid Edge
Rules of Participation | Become a Guest Author
Become a Solid Edge Certified pro today!

Comments
Solution Partner Valued Contributor Solution Partner Valued Contributor
Solution Partner Valued Contributor

Thanks for the shout-out Amy!

Contributors