How to Add Custom File Properties in Solid Edge

Experimenter
Experimenter

Local to File Properties in Solid Edge:

Step 1:   You can go to File - File Properties and click on the Custom tab as shown below. 

Step 2:   Enter the Name of the property, what kind of property (text, date, number, yes or no), and the value.  Click ok.  Save the File, then this property will be available to be called out on the draft sheet of this file. 
  Global to be Populated File Properties in Solid Edge:

You can edit your propseed.txt file, to make it easier to populate file properties in each file.

Step 1:   You can edit the propseed.txt file on your machine, or if you are pointing to a common propseed.txt file on the network.  The first step is to locate your propseed.txt file.  Go to Tools - Options and click on the File Locations tab as shown below. Notice the location of the Property seed file.  The screen shot above is on my local machine and not the network.  Browse to that file.

Step 2:   Edit the propseed.txt file.  The top portion of the file allows you to edit the existing file properties in Solid Edge.  The bottom portion allows you to add custom properties to Solid Edge.

Step 3:  The file gives directions on how to add custom properties. In my example above, highlighted in blue, I added a custom property called Ally.  I added it first to the list of custom properties at top of screen shot.  Then I formatted the property at the bottom.  For the values of type, there will be Sales, Training, Technical Support, and Consulting.  For the default value it will go to Technical Support.  Save this file at its location.  (You could also make a copy of the propseed.txt file while editing, incase you mess something up.  That way you have a backup and you can just write over the existing when done.

Step 4:   This doesn't automatically populate each file, it just makes it easier to populate. Go to File- File Properties again and click on the custom tab.  

Step 5:   Select File Property Name from Name field.

Step 6:   Select what you want for the Value, since I typed in default=Technical Support, Technical Support was the default when added. 

Step 7:   Click the Add button. 

For a step-by-step with images, go here
Comments
Valued Contributor
Valued Contributor

I love using the Custom Properties with automation. All sorts of data concerning the part or assembly can be stored there. I add and update the properties based on changes to the part and also identify parts programatically using these properties. Not to mention these properties are useful in custom BOMs.

Contributors