Cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How to Manage Settings and Preferences in Solid Edge

Siemens Legend Siemens Legend
Siemens Legend

There’s not much that’s better than getting a screaming fast new machine, it’s true.  But there is one thing than can sweeten that pot - getting to keep all of your Solid Edge settings when you move to your new system! 

Solid Edge makes it easy for you to copy your settings and preferences from one machine to another.  Safely tucking your data in an encrypted file, you can save registry settings, customized themes, files from the Preferences folder, and template files. The Solid Edge Settings and Preferences Wizard is available in the Solid Edge program group.

1.jpg

To capture your settings, launch the Wizard.

2.jpg

Select Capture Settings and Preferences, and then click Next.

3.jpg

Specify the settings you want to capture, specify a filename and location for your preference file, and click Finish.

The wizard also allows you to restore a saved configuration or to reset your system to factory defaults.  A fourth option is available to reset your system defaults while persisting your language settings – useful when you’re changing the language of your user interface.

More options are available on the Application button > Settings > Options > User Profile tab to save settings automatically on exit or to restore settings automatically when you start up Solid Edge, giving you all of the tools you need to keep your environment as consistent as you want across as many machines as you need.

Comments
Gears Esteemed Contributor Gears Esteemed Contributor
Gears Esteemed Contributor

This saved me so much time, loading my teams machines with Solid Edge 2019, once I'd set my PC up.

Hi @SeanCresswell

Hi @Melanie_Baeske

but the current user name is saved there too, and so You can not use that setting under a different user, isn't it?

At least I have seen this last week.

All personal path infos (backup, etc.) are pointing to the old user account and pathes.

Siemens Legend Siemens Legend
Siemens Legend

Hi @hawcad

I think in that case you would just not include the AppData files in the export.  I think all of the other settings are "user agnostic." 

Thanks

Melanie

Hi @Melanie_Baeske

no, not all!

See for example a default Options - File Location setting from a typical computer:

20181018_1838.png

And there are several files/locations, which are very user specific.

The idea behind the Preferences/Settings is great, but it was not worked out to the end.

To use this files for a group roll out there must not be any personal setting in it.

It is very easy to filter out all user specific entries in the registry (I do that using a simple DOS command file) but I have not found a way to extract the preferenc files out of the zipped setting file, change it and bring it back.

This somehow creates an error warning and stops the reread of those files.

But I think this should be an easy task for the developement!

Hi @hawcad,

When you make the "Capture" using the wizard, it ignores the user name.....only when you are deploying, does the interface offer the option for a user specific backup, where it appends the user name.

SE-2019_SetPrefWiz_Options.PNGSE-2019_SetPrefWiz_Capture.PNGSE-2019_SetPrefWiz_Deploy.PNG

Hi @SeanCresswell

no, I have not talked about the filename for the preference settings (*.sepref) but for the entires/values which are in use in Solid Edge.

And my feeling about that is, that all those user specific entires are kept in that way.

But those folder are either not exisiting/available on a different user/machine or You wil lnot have the rights to write to them.

But I will do a test anyway and will keep You informed!

Hi @SeanCresswell

OK, my first test has shown, that there are entries in the registry, pointing to the current user name, but it seems, as they would be ignored during the deployment.

At least this might work here under SE2019.

Maybe there were differences in ST10 or I simply have missed something or did something wrong.

But it is good to know, that this tool now is working and will help a lot.

Great to hear @hawcad.

Contributors