Industry-leading Solid Edge ST6 software satisfies over 1300 customer requests that help companies design better products and complete projects faster while minimizing costs. This release promotes design of a wider variety of products from stylized ergonomic parts to stamped sheet metal components; optimizes part fit and position using automated tools; facilitates visual understanding and management of complex design data and engineering changes; and advances bulk migration of existing intelligent models to Solid Edge.
Attached is a PDF document that provides detailed information on each of the following sections. Here are the highlights:
YouTube videos in Solid Edge
Now you can use YouTube within Solid Edge to record and share multimedia videos with others.
User interface highlights
Solid Edge ST6 introduces four user interface themes that offer a predefined arrangement of graphical tools, user assistance tools, and docking windows based on your familiarity with Solid Edge or with other CAD products.
Steering Wheel enhancements
Based on user feedback from Solid Edge University 2012, the steering wheel and the Solution Manager now offer better feedback and more user–definable controls.
Document management highlights
Document management enhancements include:
● Support for Multifield keys—Solid Edge Embedded Client ST6 supports Teamcenter’s use of multifield keys to define what makes an Item business object unique in Teamcenter.
● Enhanced multi-CAD capability—The addition of the Take Ownership command provides you with the ability to take ownership of an existing foreign design (assembly or part). Rounds and chamfers have a unique setting for this operation and default to ordered placement.
● Add to Teamcenter Interactive—This new tool provides you an interactive process for adding Solid Edge 3D and draft data to Teamcenter. With a focus on working with unmanaged data that is of a product or project in size, it is particularly suited for supply chain collaboration and reintegration of formerly managed content into Teamcenter.
Part, sheet metal, and surfacing highlights
Solid Edge part, sheet metal, and surfacing enhancements include:
● 3D Goal Seek—Goal seeking now is available for all 3D models. Its purpose is to evaluate “what if” scenarios, and to adjust the design to match a specific value (goal). It operates with respect to the model design variables.
● Now you can create stamped sheet metal parts with a single Emboss command.
● Tangency control handles—3D handles for manipulating continuity and tangency at curve and surface boundaries are now available. There is also a handle for control of the tangency magnitude. The tangency controls used in previous versions are still available. You can turn off the display of these new 3D handles.
● Higher quality surfaces for more stylized products.
● Recognize hole patterns—A new command is available that will detect holes features that form a rectangular or circular pattern. A pattern feature of holes is added to the model.
● Rounding—Rounding now supports the curvature continuous type.
● Copy and Paste—Copy/Cut and Paste now includes the copied feature’s dimensions, relationships, and variables.
● Better reuse with synchronous technology—This includes improved rectangular and circular patterning, pattern recognition.
Rectangular Patterning—Improvements made to the rectangular patterning behavior. You can dynamically drag the pattern profile on face, center the pattern on the pattern profile. The pattern is now more predictable and produces desirable drag results. The pattern is easier to constrain and dimensionally edit.
Circular Patterning—Improvements made for center positioning of the pattern profile. The command now creates a fixed pattern diameter to instance location. A diameter dimension is automatically added. The edit behavior has been significantly improved.
Solid Edge Assembly enhancements include:
● Using face selection, features can be located and dynamic edit can be used to change dimensional values without in place activation. The Undo and Redo commands are available for this operation.
● When creating Part Features from the assembly level (Assembly Part Features), there is now an option to create synchronous features if possible.
● Simplified assemblies geometry can now exist as either solid bodies or visible faces. With this capability, you can create a more accurate representation of a simplified part for review and sharing, yet still protect proprietary information. A new Duplicate Body command speeds simplification of copied or patterned parts.
Draft and PMI highlights
ST6 continues to simplify drawing production and improve the usability of dimensions and annotations in model PMI and on drawings. This includes:
● Direct editing of tables.
● Intuitive and flexible annotation and dimension alignment.
● Create a block table and auto-ballooned block diagram using the new Block Table command.
Finite element analysis highlights
Solid Edge Simulation introduces design optimization. Design optimization alters one or more design variables in a solved study to maintain a limit and achieve an objective. For example, you can use the New Optimization command to minimize mass yet maintain a stress level that is less than the rated yield stress. You do not have to specify a target value, just an objective to achieve.
Design optimization operates on physical and material properties used to evaluate stress, displacements, and factor of safety.
Web-served help and training
In ST6, user help and training are now accessed over the Internet. However, if you do not have Internet access, you can choose to display locally installed help, instead.
Using web-served help instead of locally installed help provides the following advantages:
● Content that is searchable across all help and training.
● Direct links between help topics and tutorials and videos.
● Access to the Learning Portal.