Cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Solid Edge Portal as Sketchfab.com alternative?

Legend
Legend

I've been experimenting with using sketchfab.com to embed interactive 3d models in my portfolio website. It works well on desktop, but is hit and miss on mobile.

Are there any plans on the horizon to allow 3d models in the Solid Edge Portal to be viewed interactively while embedded into a website?

https://sketchfab.com/search?q=solidedge&sort_by=-pertinence&type=models

Solid Edge 2019 MP4 - Windows 10 - K2000
9 REPLIES 9
Highlighted

Re: Solid Edge Portal as Sketchfab.com alternative?

Legend
Legend

Hello @DaveG

Sorry to go offtopic, but do you mind showing your website. Would like to take a look how it looks with the embed 3D models.

Sander
The Netherlands

Legend
Legend

No problem @Sander-NL

http://www.2pidesign.com/portfolio-item/stairway/

Legend
Legend

@DaveG

Thanks! Looks cool, pitty of the loading time before the stairs are able to be controlled.

Did you mayby also take a look at 3D PDF or the Technical Publishing HTML5 to place on your website?

Sander
The Netherlands

Legend
Legend

@Sander-NL

Thanks, yes the loading time is pretty bad.

I didn't look into either of those options. When you refer to Technical Publishing HTML5 are you referring to Solid Edge Technical Publications?

Legend
Legend

@DaveG

I always try to go to the SE update course for each version.

This is a piece of that course for ST10.

From top to bottom as it's in Dutch.

Print:

- Physical hardcopy.

PDF:

- Static or interactive 3D.

- Adobe reader, no plugin.

HTML5:

- Interactive 3D

- Viewable online or offline.

- Modern browser, no plugins.

TP Export.JPG

The company where I work is working in a new website, it's not finished yet but I would love to have more engineering on it, not only products that are finished for real. We all work hard and make beautiful things and we should show off more! Smiley Very Happy

Sander
The Netherlands

Legend
Legend

@Sander-NL

Thank you for your reply, that sounds like a wise thing to do, I must get in the habit of doing the same when I upgrade. ST10 has certainly been a big upgrade from ST9.

Yes, I agree, it is good to showcase your work. I would love to see your website (hopefully with some of your work) when it is live.

Would you mind telling me where this course is that you are referring to (I understand it is in Dutch)? When I click on the Solid Edge Application Button & choose ST10 What's New, I don't get anything that resembles your screenshot?

Screenshot 2018-10-09 10.10.53.pngApplication Button -> Learn -> What’s New

Screenshot 2018-10-09 10.13.03.pngApplication Button -> Learn -> Help & Training -> What’s new in Solid Edge ST10

I tried exporting a high quality 3D pdf of my model, it is functional, but surprisingly slow running from my workstation, I don't think it is suitable for a portfolio website.

From what I gather online, it looks like that functionality is in the Technical Publications program?

Looks great, HTML5 sounds like a better way to go.

I think I might stick with sketchfab for the moment & maybe look into technical publications at a later date.

Dave

Legend
Legend

It's from a presentation of the Dutch reseller Enginia. Where they got from i don't know.

What I do know is that they go to the update course from Siemens itself for resellers in the EU. Mayby they got it from there and re-used it.

This thursday we have Solid Edge university here, i will ask my contact person there if they have an idea Smiley Very Happy.

Sander
The Netherlands

Gears Esteemed Contributor Gears Esteemed Contributor
Gears Esteemed Contributor

I believe the HTML5 output is from the SE Technical Publication app that was announced with the release of ST10 but is not part of ST10.  It is an add-on package.

https://solidedge.siemens.com/en/solutions/products/technical-publications/

Ken
Production: SE 2019 MP8, Testing: SE 2020
http://Grundey.blogspot.com

Legend
Legend

Ah, OK, thank you @Sander-NL & @KennyG for your help.

@Sander-NL

I thought I was missing something in the Solid Edge built in help, great tip to check the what's new section.

I hope Solid Edge University goes well for you, I'm looking forward to travelling over to the UK to visit it at the end of the month.