A question on Sweep command

Valued Contributor
Valued Contributor

Hello,

I am trying to create a handle for a box. I am using the single path and cross-section option under sweep to create it. Please see the attached file (created in ST6/Ordered environment). However, I can't make the protrusion to meet the surface (or project on to the surface) and end there i.e. don't protrude into the body. Could someone please tell me how to do it. I appreciate your help.

Thank you

PS: Creating an elipse on the surface where protrusion ends and using multiple paths/cross-sections option in sweep to create the protrusion is not an option as I don't know the exact dimensions of the elipse.

8 REPLIES

Re: A question on Sweep command

Phenom
Phenom

The part you attached would not open in ST7 Full License.

This may be a limitation of the Student Version. So either illustrate what you're trying to do, or attach the part in a STEP or Parasolid format.

Bob

PLM World Member Legend PLM World Member Legend
PLM World Member Legend

I can't access your file either.  There is a Tool on the Surfacing Tab called Replace Face.  If I understand your problem correctly, this may help.

Valued Contributor
Valued Contributor

Thank you for the comments. I created this in ST6 student version, so it can not be opened in commercial version. I am attaching the screen shots. I hope the screenshots convey what I want to do.

Esteemed Contributor
Esteemed Contributor

Hi there,

Easiest way, given you're using Ordered mode, is to extend the sketch element that controls it [right click on the relevant sketch in path finder, select edit profile] to go beyond that face far enough to allow this to happen.

There are other ways to do this also, but this would be where I would start.

Sean Cresswell
Design Manager Streetscape Ltd
Solid Edge ST10 [MP3] Classic [x2 seats]
Windows 10 - Quadro P2000

Valued Contributor
Valued Contributor

Sean,

Thank you for the reply. Only issue with that approach is, if the main body is hollow (i.e thin walled) then the resulting protrusion will protrude into the main body as shown in the attached screenshot.

Esteemed Contributor
Esteemed Contributor

Yes it will, that wasn't on your previous images.....but, in that case, you could then use "Replace face" [from the surfacing tools] to match the inside wall.

Actually,....you could use the "Replace Face" method to fix that end.

This video is currently being processed. Please try again in a few minutes.
(view in My Videos)

Sean Cresswell

Valued Contributor
Valued Contributor

Awesome! I didn't explore surfacing options so far. This works. Thanks!

Esteemed Contributor
Esteemed Contributor

Very welcome.

Lots of things to play with in surfacing tools, and they play a pivotal role for me, even though I mostly live in the Sheet Metal environment.

Sean Cresswell