Converting dft to dxf problems

N/A
Hello

I am converting dft drawings to dxf and it doesnt convert hole callouts for example it doesnt recognize M8 hole, it just puts (diameter mark) 6,65.
Also the drawing number and name changes their font size and location. I have tried changing some options that SE gives you before you save dxf, but it doesnt change anything.

Looking forward to your replies
4 REPLIES

Re: Converting dft to dxf problems

Esteemed Contributor
Esteemed Contributor
Conversion to DXF and subsequent conversion into another program is tricky in regards to text and symbols due to font mapping. For instance, every font has a different design of the characters and different spacing. Some fonts display symbol characters instead of text characters. This being said, when you save out a DXF, it has certain fonts assigned to the characters however when you read it into another application, it may not have access to those fonts (different PC) which means it substitutes a different font, and it may as a matter of fact substitute it's own fonts as standard practice. This is especially true when using annotation in SE such as Feature Control frames and the GD&T symbols. Often they translate into AutoCAD as letters as it substitutes the font and all it knows is the ASCII character number, but does not know the graphic that represents that character...

Ken

Production: ST10 MP3
Testing: SE 2019

N/A
But is there another file format that I can convert my dft to, that Autocad opens and the conversion is correct? It would be nice if you could take measurments from the converted drawing also.

Esteemed Contributor
Esteemed Contributor
I find "DWG" is the preferred format when the data going directly to ACAD...works for me anyway. DXF is a much more neutral format.

Sean Cresswell
Streetscape Limited (NZ)
-
Sent from my Samsung Galaxy NoteII using Tapatalk 2.
-
Sean Cresswell
Design Manager Streetscape Ltd
Solid Edge ST10 [MP3] Classic [x2 seats]
Windows 10 - Quadro P2000

Esteemed Contributor
Esteemed Contributor
You can take measurements from the converted drawing... Why can't you? Conversions are never perfect. What should be accurate is geometry, beyond that you will have to play with font mapping to get the rest correct and might have to provide Solid Edge fonts to whomever is receiving the ACAD file to be able to view it correctly.

Ken

Production: ST10 MP3
Testing: SE 2019