Create equidistant curvedt parallel lines?

N/A
Hello,

What is the easiest way to create curved parallel lines which are equidistant from each other? Then, apply the curved lines onto an imported image?

Thanks.
17 REPLIES

Re: Create equidistant curvedt parallel lines?

Esteemed Contributor
Esteemed Contributor
Use the "Offset" command.....try using the "Command Finder" at the bottom right of the screen, this valuable asset has some very clever visual feedback when hovering the cursor over the options it finds.
Sean Cresswell
Design Manager Streetscape Ltd
Solid Edge ST10 [MP3] Classic [x2 seats]
Windows 10 - Quadro P2000

N/A
Thanks. I can see how the Offset command is a big time saver! However, placing the lines group onto the image is tricky to get the right alignment with the image.
I was tying to create a flat belt (what the image is of) and then add the parallel lines. I started by sketching a line circle and gave it a 1mm thickness. I tried the Extruded to create the flat section of the belt but clicking on Extruded then selecting the line circle has no reaction, other than turning the line green. Plus I have a feeling that if it were to extrude, I'd create a disc, not a belt, so I'd have to remove most of the inside of the disc - with the Hole tool? Is there a better way to make the belt?

Esteemed Contributor
Esteemed Contributor
Hi Bret,
I made a pretty quick & rough video of how I might do this.....don't be afraid to just lay out a shape sort of close to what you want, then grab the curves/lines and move them about, add dimensions if you want a specific size....and do the chained line offset at the end, only for clarity.
FYI; I am pressing the "A" key on the keyboard while still in the line command, to get the arc command, and it switches back to line straight afterward...So makes this kind of thing very easy.
Hope this helps.
Sean Cresswell

N/A
Thanks Sean. Great help! I'll need to watch it several times since I don't see how to pause or reverse the player. I do see generally your approach.
I made some progress. I did get to extrude the 60mm circle into a 15mm high disc. Then I used the Hole tool but it wouldn't give me more than a 10mm dia. hole. I tried many times to enter 59mm, to give me the 1mm thickness I want. Strangely, if I enter the 59mm dimension the number will show as the dimension but the hole size doesn't increase ??? Still, I'd end up with a circle so I'd have to elongate it some to get the right shape. This would be fun if it weren't so frustrating.
Thanks again for the screencast. Hopefully I won't get stuck again.

Esteemed Contributor
Esteemed Contributor
Bret,

Hole is not really the right tool to use, although it cando it.....another workflow that you may find interesting/useful with this type of part design, is "Thinwall"...automates a few steps.
Should find that the Jing player has a pause button & progress bar at the bottom of the screen.
Sean Cresswell

N/A
I'm sure the steps to do it can be easily followed from your screencast. The problem now is that the screencast window is bigger than my FF browser window so I can't see both what you're doing and the pause play buttons at the same time. I have to scroll up or down to see one or the other, then jump to my ST4 window then back, etc.. So this is taking forever. Is there a way to reduce the size of the screencast within the browser window - the R-Click (on screen)>zoom out isn't small enough and there's no window frame size adjustment that I can see ?

N/A
Sean,

I'm really trying here but I see now that screencast is missing several key steps you did so I immediately am clueless as to how you arrived at certain points in the sketch. Can you increase the capture rate so I don't miss anything? Or just write the steps?

N/A
Ok. Somehow I managed to make the belt. Now I need to add some feature like through holes and those parallel lines.

Esteemed Contributor
Esteemed Contributor
Bret,
I will make a screen capture on my kids laptop later today for you, as can use the same Student Edition, plus it has a much smaller screen than my work setup, and hopefully that helps. Can you upload an image of the actual belt you are trying to model....is it like the toothed belt image attached?
Sean Cresswell