Help create thread lead in and lead out

N/A
I want to create a helical thread with custom profile. I am using helical protusion command in the ordered environment. I can create the thread all right, but I do not know how to create the thread lead-in and lead-out. I'd appreciate it if the gurus out here explain the steps to me.

I tried to do it in synchronous environment, but there is no option to give a lead-in & lead-out.
It seems the ordered environment commands is more promising to do this.

Thanks,
Richard.
7 REPLIES

Re: Help create thread lead in and lead out

Esteemed Contributor
Esteemed Contributor
Hi Richard,

Would you not model the lead-in/out by cutting a relief zone?

-
Sean Cresswell
Design Manager Streetscape Ltd
Solid Edge ST10 [MP3] Classic [x2 seats]
Windows 10 - Quadro P2000

N/A
Yes, it looks like what your attachment shows. How do I do that (cutting a relief zone)?

Esteemed Contributor
Esteemed Contributor
OK, there are a few different ways to model to this result, but I used a revolved cutout in this case. I have attached the model for you to reference....if you open it up and right click on the "cutout" feature, then choose edit profile (like attached image) you'll be able to see exactly what I did in the example.

Hope this helps...good luck.

-
Sean Cresswell

Esteemed Contributor
Esteemed Contributor
Just to add to this.....one of the other modeling approaches (as though it would be manufactured)....model the journal size(s), then the relief (lead-in/out) zones as would be added prior to the threading, making it the helical "cutout" the command of choice to do this.
Possibly making a "simplified" view configuration, for later detailing in "draft" if needed.

-
Sean Cresswell

N/A
So basically in the helix part you create thread on the whole cylindrical surface and use revolved cuts to clear out the part of threads you don't want. OK, that is clear now.
This should work on outside thread (shaft).

For inside thread (hole) manufactured on a turning lathe won't this method create a difficulty? A turning lathe goes from smaller diameter to the nominal diameter when creating a lead in for a thread. So what should I do? Create 3 helical protrusion? One tapered helical for lead-in, one normal helical for the thread and another tapered helical for the lead out? Or change the machining strategy, boring for the root thread diameter, make the thread and boring the outside diameter for the lead in/out?

Anyway, Sean, thanks for the tip and help.
Richard.

Esteemed Contributor
Esteemed Contributor
Yes....sort of, I did it this way around for ease of modelling, without knowing what you needed exactly, so it was sort of a mash.
Typically the revolve cuts (relief) would be there before the helix (thread) whether it be internal or external work.

An internal thread model is much the same, as you're aware, different parameters to allow for when actually boring.
Effectively, drill/bore the root diameter, then the relief (lead-in/out) as couterbores, then the thread (helix).

Let me know if you would like this model data also.
-
Sean Cresswell

N/A
Thank you Sean for your pointers. I understand how you did it now for the internal thread.
Richard.