How to assemble a rack and pinion?

Valued Contributor
Valued Contributor

Hello,

I want to create a rack and pinion assembly and then apply a linear motor using the Gear relationship. However, I am unable to assemble the rack and pinion. The Solid Edge help on Gear relationship shows that the two parts should be in contact to apply the gear relationship.

I am attaching the rack and pinion that I created. In my assembly, I drop the rack first, making  it the base of the assembly. Then I drop the pinion. I want to insert the pinion in the rack. I tried using mate, align and other options. Nothing worked. I appreciate if someone can show me how to do it.

Thank you

PS: As I have a student version, I don't have the "engineering reference" addon. There are some videos that I found online, but all of them used engineering reference addon.

3 REPLIES

Re: How to assemble a rack and pinion?

Legend
Legend

Hi,

Here is a step by step video on how to assemble a rack and pinion. You must know the pinion pcd (pitch circle diameter) and the rack ptb (pitch to back) distance to position them correctly. Skip to around 4:30 for how to use the gear mate if your conpoments are already positioned.

Laurenj.

Valued Contributor
Valued Contributor

laurenj,

Awesome! Thank you very much for taking time to create this video. I really appreciate it.

Siemens Phenom Siemens Phenom
Siemens Phenom

Hi,

I just saw this post, but would like to add one thing. Even though you need it for your rack and pinion, it is not required that the two parts be in contact with each other for a gear relationship. The gear relationship simply defines a ratio between the parts that controls how much one part rotates or translates with respect to the other. It is fine for them to not be touching at all.

Hope this helps,

Greg