Is there an ST5 now?

N/A
I now have version ST4 but browsing the site I found a link to upgrade to ST5, so I downloaded it and saw it was quite a bit larger than ST4 at 2.2GB which took a couple hours to download. When I went to install it, the selection was to install ST4 not ST5.

Can anyone clarify what's going on with ST5?

Thanks,
Bret
9 REPLIES

Re: Is there an ST5 now?

Esteemed Contributor
Esteemed Contributor
I would be surprised if the student version of ST5 was available yet...
Sent from my Motorola Electrify using Tapatalk 2

Ken

Production: ST10 MP3
Testing: SE 2019

N/A
It seems you're right.
They shouldn't promote it as if it were available:https://www.plm.automation.siemens.com/en_us/products/velocity/solidedge/st5/index.shtml , then have a page to upgrade it without it stating what version the upgrade is:http://www.plm.automation.siemens.com/en_us/products/velocity/forms/solid-edge-student-upgrade.cfm . Between the download, install and sorting out the confusion, this wasted about 4 hrs of my weekend time.
Thanks for your feedback.

Esteemed Contributor
Esteemed Contributor
I believe the upgrade to ST5 is now available...

Ken

N/A
Thanks for the follow-up. I'll check it out. I've been impressed so far with ST4 having tutorials and lessons which actually match the program so far. Other CAD programs I've tried have frustrated me away because they didn't do this. Has it been your experience to expect the ST5 tutorials and lessons to have been updated along with the new release?

N/A
Hmm I don't seem to be able to upgrade to st5 so far.
Any links?

Siemens Builder Siemens Builder
Siemens Builder
All, the ST5 version should definitely be up now, and, yes, the tutorials should also be updated to the latest version. Please let us know how the learning experience for Solid Edge is working for you. I am globally responsible for the Solid Edge business and we are very interested in making the learning experience as simple as possible. If you are interested in design projects, you could check out a couple of sites:
1. Www.ontheedge.dezignstuff.com. The guys there are currently working on a "flexcavator" project, which should be fun and you can participate with your student version.
2. Www.localmotors.com. This s a community that does all kinds of design work around vehicles. If you want to actively participate, you would however need to register, and download a free trial version, or rent the Design1 version of Solid Edge for 20$ per month.
I will check in here from time to time, so let me know your thoughts on the learning experience.
Thanks
Karsten
Karsten Newbury
GM Solid Edge

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD
Senior VP and GM
Solid Edge and Mainstream Engineering
@Newbk
karsten.newbury@siemens.com

N/A
That looks like a very resourceful blog!
Once I've mastered Solid Edge, will I have problems working with/integrating with CAD colleagues who use Solidworks or Inventor?
Can ST4 be upgraded to ST5 easily from within ST4? If so how? Or, do I have to do the whole giant download, registrtation key thing all over again?

N/A
That looks like a very resourceful blog!

Once I've mastered Solid Edge, will I have problems working with/integrating with CAD colleagues who use Solidworks or Inventor?

Can ST4 be upgraded to ST5 easily from within ST4? If so how? Or, do I have to do the whole giant download, registrtation key thing all over again?

Esteemed Contributor
Esteemed Contributor
ST4 must be uninstalled and a new ST5 package downloaded and installed.
Sent from my Motorola Electrify using Tapatalk 2

Ken