Lost all command bars in ST6 when sketching

Creator
Creator

I have been using ST6 for a couple of years, but now when doing sketching in 2D, all of the command bars have dissapeared. Examples:

When I want to draw a line. The command bar would allow me to chose line type, color, width and I could also type in the length of line I wanted. None of these options are available now because the line command bar does not show.

Move, the command bar gave options of copy or not, option of entering x & y coordinates, etc but again, this command bar does not show up.

Fill command , the command bar is used to pick type, color, etc for fill but is also missing.

Several others, but Dimension is a big one. The command bar allowed me to pick dimension style, size, text scale etc but it too is gone.

How can I restore these and just as important, what did I do to make these not show????

7 REPLIES

Re: Lost all command bars in ST6 when sketching

Solution Partner Creator Solution Partner Creator
Solution Partner Creator
1. Exit Solid Edge.

2. Run 'regedit' [or your registry editing tool of choice].

3. Go to 'HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Unigraphics 
Solutions' and export to file backup of all folder.

4. Delete all folder and everything under it. WARNING: do NOT delete 'HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Unigraphics Solutions'. 4. Exit 'regedit'.

5. Try again with Solid Edge.

Creator
Creator

Thanks for the quick reply, but can you provide a little more detail??

You wrote:

3. Go to 'HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Unigraphics
Solutions' and export to file backup of all folder.

4. Delete all folder and everything under it.  WARNING: do NOT delete
'HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Unigraphics Solutions'.

On #3, I don't know what you mean "export to file backup of all folder" Is there an existing backup folder or do I have to create one? Please expand on this for someone who is not that computer savy.

On #4, when you said "delete all folder and everything under it" Is this the folder that has the 'HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Unigraphics Solutions' file? Please provide more of a step by step way to proceed. I know it is easy to really screw things up in the registry if I do something wrong. How do I delete the folder without deleting the  'HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Unigraphics Solutions' ?

When I exit 'regedit', does the file that was exported automatically get applied from the backup folder or do I have to do something to make it available ?

Thanks again for your help. Please reply in this forum or by personal message , which ever you prefer.

Creator
Creator

I forgot to include an additional question in my reply. If I can't understand how to modify the registry safely, would it be better if I delete ST6 and install ST8?

If so, I have some additional questions. I downloaded ST8 five or six months ago, but never installed it. Is this download still viable or whould I have to download it again?

If I do install ST8, I understand it will open all of my existing files that were created with ST6, but do I need to do anything special with these files when deleting ST6 and installing ST8?

Solution Partner Creator Solution Partner Creator
Solution Partner Creator

Hi,

#3 Click RMB on folder 'HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Unigraphics
Solutions' and choose Export to save this folder as .reg file. It will be backup of this folder.

#4 After save as .reg (from #3) you can savely delete this folder, to reset user preferences of Solid Edge. This may be solution for your problem.

If you downloaded ST8 and you have all files, you can still install it.

Files from ST8 will open files from previous version, but ST6 will not open from newer. 

So you can open every file from older version. There is the lack of backward compatibility.

Best regards,

JK

Creator
Creator

OK, thanks for the info.

While I had a little time, I uninstalled ST6 and then reinstalled it. When I started it up, nothing had changed. I still did not have any of the command bars. How can that be since I reinstalled ST6?

Dennis

Siemens Phenom Siemens Phenom
Siemens Phenom

Because an uninstall  of ST6 does *not* remove your user settings.  You have been provided with a workflow to reset your user settings through regedit.  If you follow the instructions you were given, this should resolve your issue.

Creator
Creator

OK, Thank you