Problem with Sweep

Valued Contributor
Valued Contributor

Hi,

I am using ST6 student edition in ordered environment. I am trying to create a sweep using multiple paths and cross sections option. I have two two paths and one cross section. I tried many different combinations of the options under sweep dialog box, however I fail to create the sweep. I am attaching the part file, which has the three sketches. Sketch 1 is the cross section and sketch 2 & 3 are the paths. I appreacite it if someone can tell me what might I be doing wrong.

Thank you

PS: When I use single path & cross section option with "Along the path" for face merging and select sketch 2 as the path and sketch 1 as cross section, it worked fine.

9 REPLIES

Re: Problem with Sweep

I can not, and others running professional licensed SE cannot open your file since it was saved in the studen version.

perhaps post some screen shots of your sketches or the desired end result of the part?

Also,  whenever I think multiple cross sections, I have to consider is Loft or sweep the best approach...  Dont know without seeing your challenge but if you are new to Solid Edge consider looking at the Loft command and see if it may be a better alternative for you???

Valued Contributor
Valued Contributor

Thank you. Loft isn't an option for me. I am not doing this to finsh a job. I am just interested in learning the Sweep Option. Here is the link to the video http://youtu.be/M0kkhbpbkEU. Sketch 2 & 3 are connected.

Thank you

YOUR YOU TUBE VIDEO IS PRIVATE AND CAN NOT BE VIEWED....

Valued Contributor
Valued Contributor

Sorry about that. I made it public now.

Thanks

OK,

QUICK TEST. make your circle smaller adn retry.

1 or 2 things...

1.)  the circle is too large for the bend radii...

2.)  the tangency between your 2 skects is off a bit.

i suspect if you make your cross section sketck of the circle smaller in diameter then it will work.

Your path's bend radii should be > your cross section or your cross section will "self intersect" and fail.

Valued Contributor
Valued Contributor

Thanks for looking at it.

1) The circle is not large, I suspected this and tried with various diameters.

2) When I drew sketch3, I chose the tangential arc option. I can clearly see that relationship in that sketch.

I must be doing some silly mistake.

use derive curve command to convert those 2 segmensts into 1.

i just re watched your video...

i do not think you should be choosing multiple..  just choose single and try it.

Valued Contributor
Valued Contributor

When I use single path & cross section, during the path step it is only letting me choose sketch 2. Sketch3 is clearly connected to sketch 2. I am not sure why I couldn't choose sketch 3 as path.

The 'derive curve' method that you suggested worked!

Thank you for your time.