ROV Hull simulation

[ Edited ]

Hello,

I`m new to Solid Edge simulation and having some trouble simulating my underwater submersible hull sturdiness to underwater pressure. I want it to go at least 50m deep, meaning it has to withstand pressure around 600 kPa. The hull will be made of ABS plastic. For extra rigidness I have also added honeycomb structure inside the hull. I have designed this hull for my ROV that I`m building for my uni thesis project.

What would be the right way to simulate this situation?

I have tride numerous ways but can`t get any results when I`m trying simulate full hull with honeycomb structure. It always results in error and before that solving always takes hours. I`m afraid that this structure makes this body too complex to simulate. It can be simulated when I only run simulation on one side of the hull with honeycomb stucture. I have already simplyfied this body a lot compared to my actual design.

My other concern is applying constraints because my hull will be moving freely around water so I don`t know where and which kind of constraints to add.

I can`t really understand the result as well. It shows deformation and pressure on the colorbar. But I would like to know what is the pressure from where the part starts to deform let`s say more than 1mm.

Can somebody please give me some advice. I have included pictures.

On first picture is first half of my simplified hull design with honeycomb structure inside (can be simulated)

On second picture the previous part is simulated (buckling study; added fixed constraint to top layer - not really sure if this is the correct way)

On third picture - same as previous, but static study.

On forth picture is whole hull body put together of two simplified hull designs with honeycomb structure (can`t get to simulate, don`t even know where to add constraints because in real life situation it is not connected to anything)

On fifth picture is my actual hull design.

Thanks!

Margus

1 REPLY
Highlighted

Re: ROV Hull simulation

You should be modeling this with shell elements and not solid elements, so you would need to create a mid-surface of the part, with intersecting honeycomb mid-surfaces and assign a material thickness in the shell element property in Solid Edge Simulation.

Buckling is for long columns in compression, so that analysis isn't applicable to your study.

Regarding constraints, yes, the net resultant force on the actual system underwater is a 0; however, due to the decretization of the finite element model, you'll have a small net resultant force in some direction, so I think if you fix a small region of elements on one end, this will enable the other elements to float and deflect accordingly to the pressure loads.