Solid Edge Student Edition Crash Windows 7 Professional

Experimenter
Experimenter

Hello, I've been trying to use the copy of Solid Edge that my college provided me with. I can open a draft, but nothing else. I am using the exact same setup as one of my classmates and I can not figure out why it is not working for me.

I've attached the crash log file.

4 REPLIES

Re: Solid Edge Student Edition Crash Windows 7 Professional

Siemens Phenom Siemens Phenom
Siemens Phenom

Firstly, you are currently running base ST6. Please get with your school and ask them to download the latest ST6 maintenance pack [currently ST6 MP10] and install the MP.

Secondly, you can try changing the Application Display settings. To change the application display settings start a new part or assembly file, select the Application Button (big round button in the top left-hand corner) -> Solid Edge Options -> View. Under Application Display deselect Automatic selection, and select Backing store.

Unfortunately as you indicate that opening a new part file causes Solid Edge to crash you will not be able to manually set this option as described above. To manually set this option you must be comfortable using and working in the registry editor. Using your preferred registry editing tool of choice, add or change the following registry settings:

[HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Unigraphics Solutions\Solid Edge\Version 107\PrefSets\Options-View]
"AutoConfigure"=hex:06,00,00,00,00,00,00,00,00,00,00,00,00,00,00,00
"BackingStore"=hex:02,00,00,00,00,00,00,00,02,00,00,00,00,00,00,00

If you are not comfortable working in the registry you can download a simple click and set registry script from this GitHub site.

Siemens Valued Contributor Siemens Valued Contributor
Siemens Valued Contributor

There is also a 2nd non registry way. We deliver a txt file that is a list we use as reference for the default settings. Autoconfigure.txt located in the program folder.

Your card is matched to an entry there.

Run SESysInfo.exe and you will see a dialog with information about your machine. Look for the following 2 lines:

ActiveData: NVIDIA Corporation | NVIDIA Quadro 600/Quadro 600 | 08.17.12.9573 | WIN7 | HX | HX | DL,SL,MB
   AutoConfig: NVIDIA | Quadro | * | WIN7 | HX | HX | DL,SL,MB

The first line tells you what card we see, the 2nd line tells you what line we matched in the Autoconfigure.txt

change that line in the Autoconfigure.txt file so the new default is BS vs HX

So for my example:

NVIDIA | Quadro | * | WIN7 | BS | HX | DL,SL,MB

The file has details about the meaning of the codes used but the first instance is the default and the 2nd is the maximum allowed ( drop list for Application Display mode is based on this code).

This may be worth a try ..

Experimenter
Experimenter

I run the Sesysinfo.exe and

Summary report:

Graphic View Information:

[no active graphic view]

I assume this means it is not detecting my graphics card for whatever reason.

Siemens Valued Contributor Siemens Valued Contributor
Siemens Valued Contributor

SE is not recognizing what hardware is being used for display. So this is a low level event and SE can't create a proper profile to create a window to display SE. Dave's suggestionwill work. You will need to take that content and create something with .reg extension. Then you ca double click and your registry will be edited just be sure the SE versions match. You can also do another trick possibly. Edit the Autoconfigure.txt file  found in the Solid Edge\Program folder so the only entry is the most basic such as :

BeginGraphicsCardList

* | * | * | * | BS | HW

EndGraphicsCardList

This should set the default to backing store but allow a higher setting when if uncheck the auto box in the SE Options View tab.

In any event, SE reads this file then tries to compare what it finds in this list to what it detects. This was developed to prevent aborts on open because there are so many cards and sometimes manufacturers would even rename their product therefore making hard to detect the device. For example,  NVidia went from Quadro to Quadro FX back to Quadro... and so its was possible that we either set an old setting for a new card or a new setting for and old card.. the old Quadro line of course is long gone now and the new K series is being sold.

Good luck