Highlighted

Solid edge ST8 stops working

Experimenter
Experimenter

Hi!
I have solid edge ST8, student version. I have been using it and it has been working great for about a year. A couple of days ago the program stopped working when i try to create or open a part. No error message just working in ultra slow motion. I have reinstalled it a couple of times and removed all files, the same problem appears with ST7. What may be the issue?

Windows 10
intel i7
8 Gb RAM

Tom

9 REPLIES

Re: Solid edge ST8 stops working

Esteemed Contributor
Esteemed Contributor

Safe to say it's not a Solid Edge problem if you didn't update it recently.  Most likely related to hardware issue or Windows update.

Thanks,
Ken

Production: ST9 MP10
Testing: ST10 MP3

Experimenter
Experimenter
Ok, but shouldnt I have problems running other programs then? Every other heavy program works great!

Esteemed Contributor
Esteemed Contributor

Not necessarily.  Every application can use a different mix of libraries and features of a graphics driver or the OS.  One other thing to try would be to log onto your PC with a different account and see if the same issue persists.  Could be a corrupted Windows user profile.

Thanks,
Ken

Experimenter
Experimenter
Do you think it would help resetting the whole computer?

Experimenter
Experimenter
I'm having the same problem. It's the second time it happens to me, actually.

Some months ago I had this issue, so I just reinstalled SE ST8 and it came back to working normally.
Now, I'm having this problem again. It was all normal this afternoon until I rebooted my computer (no windows updates installed).

I tried to open a part model and it takes like 5 minutes to load the part and then everything is irresponsive, just like you described. But drafts (and view wizard) work normally

I've disabled UAC and tried to run SE in compatibility (Win8) mode, and also to run it as administrator, but both don't work.

One thing I noticed that might (or might not) have nothing to do with it was that my windows toolbar was not hiding when I watched videos on fullscreen before I rebooted the computer. Sometimes this bug happens (Windows 10 bugs, i guess).

My specs:
Windows 10 64 bit (latest update), core i5, 8gb ram

Esteemed Contributor
Esteemed Contributor

@Gianfisco May have more to do with the fact that ST8 does not support Windows 10 unless you have Maintenance Patch 3 or later installed.  If you have the Student Version, then that maintenance patch is not available to you and you should not be running ST8 on Windows 10.  Other option is to get ST9 as it fully supports Windows 10 without the need for a maintenance patch.

Thanks,
Ken

Experimenter
Experimenter

Yes, I'm using academic version. I'll install ST9, then.
Thank you!

Experimenter
Experimenter

Bad news. Just uninstalled ST8 and installed ST9 (Academic) and the same problem is happening.

I just don't know what else to do Man Frustrated

Esteemed Contributor
Esteemed Contributor

Hard to say what may cause this.  If you have the ability to use or set up another user account, do so and see if SE works fine.  If it does, then it means something in your User Profile has been corrupted.  If it doesn't, then it may be something else like computer memory, graphics, etc...  May have more to do with graphics since it is only happening with models and not drafts.  Update graphics driver and if that doesn't help, change the graphics options in SE to a lower setting in the list till you find one that works.

Thanks,
Ken