ThinWall curves

Creator
Creator

Hi all!

I'm attempting to use the 'Thin wall' function to create a 3mm thick skin to cover a rib network which I've made by cross-halving, as shown below. 

6.JPG

So what I need is to use the Thin Wall function to make a 3mm thick skin to go on the outside of this. I extruded the side profile first to a width of 350mm as this is the width I need, then used thin wall.

However, whenever I attempt to complete this operation I get an error message stating 'Failed to compute geometry' - What's the best way to do what I need to?

Thanks

3 REPLIES

Re: ThinWall curves

Esteemed Contributor
Esteemed Contributor

Hi there @KestrelGP,

Sounds as though you would be better served, extruding the 3mm skin instead.

I presume this is being made using create-in-place from an assembly?....or are you designing it as a single monolithic part? In which case, thin wall would probably work, if the ribs were drawn in afterwards.

The design process sometimes is made clearer, when the downstream processes are considered....as in, how it is going to be manufactured, and in what pieces.

Sean Cresswell
Design Manager Streetscape Ltd
Solid Edge ST10 [MP3] Classic [x2 seats]
Windows 10 - Quadro P2000

Esteemed Contributor
Esteemed Contributor

@KestrelGP To add to whay Sean said, the Thinwall command is used to take a solid body and hollow it out.  Typically used in plastic part design.  To do what Sean mentioned, you will be looking at using a Swept or Lofted surface/solid to create the skin using the curves you already have on your spars/ribs if the ribs change shape/size.  If your ribs all happen to be identical in size and shape, then a simple extruded surface would suffice again using the edges of your existing outer rib.

Ken

Production: ST10 MP3
Testing: SE 2019

Creator
Creator

Thanks to you both for your replies,

Sean, I could make it in situ or as a part - whichever's easiest. Either way, it will need to be assembled into the assembly.

Extruding would be great, but I didn't know that curved faces could be extruded while retaining their curvature. Is there a way to do that?

The rib structure is a slot-together plywood section, such that the side profiles (these are the only curved parts) are all the same but the sideways ribs are rectangular, varying in height to fit the curve.

I've tried sweeping to increase the side profile size by a uniform amount, but I then get a Non-manifold Body error when I extrude to the width required.

Although it seems an odd proposition, is it worth me trying a Sheet Metal file for this?