Unable to open new or existing assemblies

Experimenter
Experimenter

I am attempting to run ST9 but am getting a strange issue. When I try to open an existing assembly or create a new assembly, the tabs will show up, but the area where the assembly would show just shows what was already on the screen. This only happens in the assembly environment. Part, sheet metal, and draft opens with no issues, and is fairly responsive.

When I open a new sheet metal part, make a feature, save, and then try to create a new assembly with the part, my assembly environment crashes. Yes, it crashes when I try to close the assembly environment. 

I have tried to re-install with a couple of different downloads, and nothing to any avail.

Machine specs:

Windows 10 64-bit

AMD A8-5600K

8GB ram

Graphics: AMD Radeon R7 240 with 4GB on-board memory with newest drivers.

I have tried this with all 4 graphics options under the view area of options.

Any other ideas?

Thanks,

Erick

Any ideas?

5 REPLIES

Re: Unable to open new or existing assemblies

Esteemed Contributor
Esteemed Contributor

If possible, can you post the crashlogf.txt file that is in the folder C:\Users\yourusername\AppData\Local\Temp

May provide a clue...

Ken

Production: ST10 MP3
Testing: SE 2019

Experimenter
Experimenter

Ken,

Thank you for the advice, but now things are ok. I had a graphics update this afternoon, so I updated and started SE. First interesting thing is that it didn't crash, but nothing in the window to show. I opened the options area and unselected the "Automatic selection" then shut down Solid Edge. Brought it back up, opened an assembly, then re-selected "automatic selection". When I restarted SE and brought up the assembly, everything is working. I have no idea why it happened like that, but now it's working.

As for the crashlog, it wasn't a "Solid Edge crash" but it was the windows "application has stopped working" error. I use ST3 at work, so unfortunatly I am used to the Solid Edge crash that creates the crashlog.

I am going to mark this as "Solved" just because it's working and stable. Not sure why it's working now, but I'll take it as it goes.

Solution Partner Valued Contributor Solution Partner Valued Contributor
Solution Partner Valued Contributor

For future reference, this is a known problem with ST9 associated with Windows 10, I have raised an IR for it with Siemens already and is currently up for an emergency fix.

It appears to be connected to USB devices, so if anyone gets this in the future, please try and disconnect any USB hardware (phones in particular) and repeat to see if that solves the issue...

Kind Regards,
Jack Stark

Majenta PLM - Siemens Platinum Business Partner
http://majentaplm.com/

Experimenter
Experimenter

Thanks for your tip JackStark!

Same situation here, when my Cell Phone is connected, ST9 doesn't open assemblyes. 

Regards.

Solution Partner Valued Contributor Solution Partner Valued Contributor
Solution Partner Valued Contributor

Hi Zaaboo,

This was actually fixed in one of the maintenance packs for ST9 and in the new ST10 release Smiley Happy

Kind Regards,
Jack Stark

Majenta PLM - Siemens Platinum Business Partner
http://majentaplm.com/