Updating Student Edition

Creator
Creator

I will soon be updating from ST6 to ST8 (or possibly ST9).

I have two questions:

First, I am assuming that the newer versions are backwards compatible - newer versions can open files created in an earlier version. Is this correct?

Second, is it necessary to delete the earlier version to update or will the newer version overwrite the earlier version?

Thanks for your input.

3 REPLIES

Re: Updating Student Edition

SeanCresswell 2nd Gear
2nd Gear

Hi there @BigD,

Yes to both questions......enjoy the upgrade.

Sean Cresswell
Design Manager Streetscape Ltd
Solid Edge ST10 [MP3] Classic [x2 seats]
Windows 10 - Quadro P2000

Creator
Creator

Sean,

Thanks for the quick reply but I am still a bit confused. You said yes to both questions which covers the first one OK, but on the second one I asked actually in two parts. I asked if I needed to delete ST6 before upgrading or will the upgrade overwrite the ST6.

Now I am assuming (which can at times be a problem), that in your answer of yes you were saying that the upgrade does overwrite the ST6 and not saying - yes it is necessary to delete ST6 before upgrading. Is this correct?

SeanCresswell 2nd Gear
2nd Gear

@BigD,

Yeah, sorry for the too brief reply.....you cannot have two versions [installations] of Solid Edge on the same machine, so an uninstall of the previous version is required.

Further, if you have customised templates, or hole/material tables thesecan be transfered also, but you will need to manually copy these, and replaqce them in their relevant directories after upgrading.

Sean Cresswell
Design Manager Streetscape Ltd
Solid Edge ST10 [MP3] Classic [x2 seats]
Windows 10 - Quadro P2000