importing-parasolid-to-ansys problem

N/A
Hello,
As you might know there are two types of Ansys 14.5 : mechanical APDL and workbench. I would like to import my parasolid body from solid edge to APDL. That APDL simply doesnt "understand" that body(it is quite complexed looks like car-body although there are no errors in pathfinder, it is made ofsharp edges extrusions ,than those edges were rounded to make it more aerodynamic). It returns some some surfaces but not all, yet it was solid body exported
I ve tried different export options even tried IGES format and that work gave me nothing.
I know Ansys Workbench doesnt return any errors, but my professor told that workbench is not sufficient enough to carry out valid structural simulation
Any suggestions?
I know there is command in SE : optimize(I think it could work) but it is locked
PLS help
5 REPLIES

Re: importing-parasolid-to-ansys problem

Esteemed Contributor
Esteemed Contributor
Workbench is not a different version, just a newer UI. You should be able to use Workbench to create the Ansys geometry and then save out to APDL and go from there. Alternatively, the APDL commands that are missing in Workbench can be ran in Workbench using the Commands tool.

Ken

Production: ST10 MP3
Testing: SE 2019

N/A
Thank you, Ill try it, but my professor have said that Workbench accepts inproperly made geometry and APDL does not. Then(when geometry has already been imported from workbench to APDL) according to my professor there might appear some nonsense in postprocessing(when solution is done). He said yesterday that if geometry fails in APDL then it should recreated.
I would like to know what is that good/valid geometry? What things should I omit when building a body so APDL (and other FEA softwares ) can understand it?
Thank you

Esteemed Contributor
Esteemed Contributor
The only issue I could see that may yield invalid geometry would be the export of an assembly with interfering parts. If you have Ansys Design Modeler, the geometry can be read directly from SE and repaired in there if needed.

Ken

Production: ST10 MP3
Testing: SE 2019

N/A
It is not an assembly, Its good to know that design modeler has that function of autorefreshing the part. I 'll sit over that APDL and in case of troubles I will reappear here.
Thank you.

N/A
Ive tried to open that geometry in APDL transferring it from Workbench but it doesnt work. At first I ve tried to do it using Workbench workflow(I ve set geometry window and joined it with mechanical APDL window ), then I tried to edit that APDL window so as to open that APDL, and the result is that this software hang. So that approach failed.
Later I tried to export that geometry from workbench to APDL but it failed also as there are no extensions which both softwares "understand".
How to import it from Workbench?