read only/write blocked parts in tutorial

N/A
Anyone run across the read only assistant window that appears in the adding sub assemblies tutorial? I have messages pop up indicating that the part is write blocked and so I am unable to perform the task in the tutorial.
10 REPLIES

Re: read only/write blocked parts in tutorial

Pioneer
Pioneer
I have not heard of this issue. Is it when you open the first assembly? Can you tell me specifically which tutorial you tried and what subassembly you are trying to place when you get this message?

Pioneer
Pioneer
Also - be sure the "tutorials" folder is not marked as "Read-only" on your machine.

N/A
This problem is expanding to every tutorial I have worked on (2). Initially, I thought the problem stemmed from parts that were created by SE for the tutorial, but now even the geometry I generated in the part modeling test drive demo now have the same read only assistant pop up with the write lock note. I have thought that perhaps this stems from the part properties but they appear to be available to the system and any users. I also wondered if the part was somehow open and so could not be worked on until it was write available. Any help would be appreciated.

N/A
I did not see a tutorials folder in the file tree in my C drive. Also, I'm a little sketchy on the filing/retrieval of parts.

Pioneer
Pioneer
I should have said the "Training" folder and its subfolders.
Program Files (x86)\Solid Edge ST4\Training

N/A
I unchecked the read only box and can now modify the parts in the tutorial. The read only box toggles to a blue box from the check mark (not too intuitive as to the status). It is interesting that the parts in the folder showed as not being read only when the folder was. As I mentioned in the earlier post, does the tutorial cover the accessing/filing of parts? Thanks for your assistance.

Pioneer
Pioneer
I am not sure how your training folder got marked as read-only. The behavior of read-only on folders and parts is a Microsoft issue. As far as I know the tutorials do not cover filing parts. If you are building an assembly, you are first required to save the assembly in a folder before adding parts. If you are building parts in the context of the assembly, you can specify the folder where you want to create a new part (by default in the same folder where you saved the assembly). If you are dragging in components from another folder, the assembly will point to the folder where they currently reside. You can use Revision Manager to help manage the assembly structure and to move and copy files to keep the assembly intact. If you RMB click on a Solid edge Assembly from file Explorer you can access Revision Manager and see the components in the assembly and where they are on your system.

N/A
Make sure you have your UAC switched off

N/A
I'm not sure how the Training folder got the read only status. I was only able to download the SE software after switching the UAC to the lowest setting, I then switched it to the moderate setting for purposes of internet access. I thought maybe this action had caused the problem, so I experimented with all settings of the UAC and the parts were still able to be modified (this test was done after I had changed the read only status on the Training folder). I had researched the Microsoft site and you are correct about this being their OS problem, as others had read only issues various different programs. Thanks for the help. I'll look at the revision manager and saving the assembly.