Cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

For my first-year visualisation module at Loughborough University, I chose to model and render my pocket watch. 

After producing dimensioned drawings of the watch I set about modelling each part of the main body individually and then assembled them in a master assembly file. Through utilizing a wide range of functions including revolving, patterning and curve projection, I full modelled not only the outside form of the watch but also the internal workings. I took care that the gears, springs and screws all fully aligned and interlocked as to be as accurate to the watch as possible.

I added small blends to make various edges of components "pop" in the light and modified facet settings to improve the quality of my forms. After this, I set about rendering my design by selecting the default materials and then editing and modifying the advanced settings, for example by adding extra texture layers and changing reflectivity. I then spent time finding a range of lighting settings and setups ranging from dark room spotlights to bright studio lighting to create a range of visualisations. Through assembly constraints, I also made the model fully movable which allowed me to open and close the casing, rotate the clock hands and move the top ring. 

I was very pleased with the final outcome and my range of visualisations and continue to refine my CAD skills between university projects. 1.jpg4.jpg5.jpg

2018 October Winner - Antique Pocket Watch

Theorist

For my first-year visualisation module at Loughborough University, I chose to model and render my pocket watch. 

After producing dimensioned drawings of the watch I set about modelling each part of the main body individually and then assembled them in a master assembly file. Through utilizing a wide range of functions including revolving, patterning and curve projection, I full modelled not only the outside form of the watch but also the internal workings. I took care that the gears, springs and screws all fully aligned and interlocked as to be as accurate to the watch as possible.

I added small blends to make various edges of components "pop" in the light and modified facet settings to improve the quality of my forms. After this, I set about rendering my design by selecting the default materials and then editing and modifying the advanced settings, for example by adding extra texture layers and changing reflectivity. I then spent time finding a range of lighting settings and setups ranging from dark room spotlights to bright studio lighting to create a range of visualisations. Through assembly constraints, I also made the model fully movable which allowed me to open and close the casing, rotate the clock hands and move the top ring. 

I was very pleased with the final outcome and my range of visualisations and continue to refine my CAD skills between university projects. 1.jpg4.jpg5.jpg

Comments
Community Manager Community Manager

Congratulations David! You have been selected as the winner for October. My colleague from UK will be following up with you for certificate and prize.

Regards,

Bijy