Cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

My name is Danielle, I have just finished my first year of Product Design Engineering, BEng, at Loughborough University. 

As a part of a visualisation module, I created a model of a Harken self-tailoring winch used on sailing yachts. The winch enables large quantities of tension to be applied to halyards that would not otherwise be possible through manpower. This is done through the friction applied to the gears and bearings within the device, with the NX software I was able to include these detailed parts and constraint them to the final model assembly. 
The main focus of the project was to create a model of a product that was a representation of the original object. This was done through the use of lighting and shadow effect in the RayTrace studio of the NX software. HDR images were used for the mirrored environment effect on surfaces meaning when the final render was exported onto a visual scene the model slotted in seamlessly. 
I feel I have embellished my NX skill base throughout this project which I look forward to using again in future tasks.

3. Final Winch- HDR.jpgFinal render of winch (NX)

5. Final Winch- ropes.jpgAction shot of the winch (NX & Photoshop [background image from google])

2018 September Winner-Harken Sailing Winch

Theorist

My name is Danielle, I have just finished my first year of Product Design Engineering, BEng, at Loughborough University. 

As a part of a visualisation module, I created a model of a Harken self-tailoring winch used on sailing yachts. The winch enables large quantities of tension to be applied to halyards that would not otherwise be possible through manpower. This is done through the friction applied to the gears and bearings within the device, with the NX software I was able to include these detailed parts and constraint them to the final model assembly. 
The main focus of the project was to create a model of a product that was a representation of the original object. This was done through the use of lighting and shadow effect in the RayTrace studio of the NX software. HDR images were used for the mirrored environment effect on surfaces meaning when the final render was exported onto a visual scene the model slotted in seamlessly. 
I feel I have embellished my NX skill base throughout this project which I look forward to using again in future tasks.

3. Final Winch- HDR.jpgFinal render of winch (NX)

5. Final Winch- ropes.jpgAction shot of the winch (NX & Photoshop [background image from google])

Comments
Community Manager Community Manager

Congratulations Danielle! You have been selected as the September winner. Someone from our EMEA team will follow up with you for the certificate and prize.

Regards,

Bijy