Cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

I have modelled the Omega 'Alaska Project' watch as part of a visualisation module within my course, the watch is exciting as it is based on the watch that Omega first made to send to space with the apollo 11 mission to the moon in 1969,which featured a titanium case and white dials to deal with the extreme temperature variations of outer space. In the end the alaska project watch never made it into space however they did created the consumer edition to commermorate the first watches produced, this watch features more stylistic design elements while retaining original features like the case and the dial. The modelling for the module was undertaken in my first year at Loughborough University studying Product Design Engineering. All the 3D components were made in NX 11, the decals were produced in adobe Illustrator and the images were also rendered within NX 11's ray traced studio. The images then have post editing in photoshop afterwards to add vibrancy to the images.

In the first picture the book and pencils were also modelled by me and I also produced the decals for them in illustrator.

TABLEJPG.jpgUsing a HDRI imge for the backgroundMACROJPG.jpgClose up shot of the rear of the watch featuring decals and Omega Seamaster logo that was modelled to add correct look of depthENSEMBLEJPG.jpgWhite space render of the watch displaying it with and without the outercase

I tried to keep a high level of detail and a focus on lighting and the use of the depth of field within NX11 to produce the most realistic renders possible and am proud of the outcome. I enjoyed the whole process of modelling and rendering and look forward to my continued use of NX11 as a modelling package.

If i were to repeat the whole process I would alter the paint texture on the tachymetre as it is a little to sharp, I would also add an  edge blend to the seamaster logo on the macro shot, I wasn't able to this as the area was too small and many of  the edges overlapped so I would possibly attempt to offset the sketch to give myself an area to edge blend, however this project had time constraints so I am happy with what I produced. 

2019-June Winner - Watch This Space

Enthusiast

I have modelled the Omega 'Alaska Project' watch as part of a visualisation module within my course, the watch is exciting as it is based on the watch that Omega first made to send to space with the apollo 11 mission to the moon in 1969,which featured a titanium case and white dials to deal with the extreme temperature variations of outer space. In the end the alaska project watch never made it into space however they did created the consumer edition to commermorate the first watches produced, this watch features more stylistic design elements while retaining original features like the case and the dial. The modelling for the module was undertaken in my first year at Loughborough University studying Product Design Engineering. All the 3D components were made in NX 11, the decals were produced in adobe Illustrator and the images were also rendered within NX 11's ray traced studio. The images then have post editing in photoshop afterwards to add vibrancy to the images.

In the first picture the book and pencils were also modelled by me and I also produced the decals for them in illustrator.

TABLEJPG.jpgUsing a HDRI imge for the backgroundMACROJPG.jpgClose up shot of the rear of the watch featuring decals and Omega Seamaster logo that was modelled to add correct look of depthENSEMBLEJPG.jpgWhite space render of the watch displaying it with and without the outercase

I tried to keep a high level of detail and a focus on lighting and the use of the depth of field within NX11 to produce the most realistic renders possible and am proud of the outcome. I enjoyed the whole process of modelling and rendering and look forward to my continued use of NX11 as a modelling package.

If i were to repeat the whole process I would alter the paint texture on the tachymetre as it is a little to sharp, I would also add an  edge blend to the seamaster logo on the macro shot, I wasn't able to this as the area was too small and many of  the edges overlapped so I would possibly attempt to offset the sketch to give myself an area to edge blend, however this project had time constraints so I am happy with what I produced. 

Comments
Community Manager Community Manager

Congratulations Ted! You have been selected as the June Design Contest Winner. Someone from EMEA will be following up with you shortly for the prize and certificate.

Regards,

Bijy