Cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

My name is Kai Mendes, I am Product Design Engineering student at Loughborough University. I am currently in the first semester of the 2nd Year of my course. For my Industrial Design module, I used NX to model and render Airbus' AS565 Panther Helicopter; the exterior, interior and various features.

Several.jpgSeveral AS565s next to each other.

Cockpit.jpgInterior of AS565 during night flight.Helipad.jpgAS565 on helipad.

The model was then used to perform an ergonomic analysis, as well as being used within NX's Ray-Traced Studio to create high-quality visualisations. As the model was made for ergonomic analysis, accuracy was key, leading to in-depth research and the use of official documentation provided by Airbus to ensure correct sizes and dimensions.

To create the complex curves found on the helicopter, the use of Realise Shape was pivotal, allowing for the creation of the outer body being both accurate and efficient, using the Raster Image command and reference imagery of the Top, Front and Side view of the helicopter to ensure accuracy from any angle.

For the windows and doors, projecting curves and using N-Sided surfaces was very useful, as well as using Wave Linked geometry within the various parts that formed the overall assembly to allow for easier integration of parts, creating an intrinsically linked final assembly that was simple to edit for the various minor changes between helicopter models, such as paint jobs and other features.

For the visualisations, Ray-Traced Studio was used to give realistic lighting arrangements and finishes, with HDRI images being used to form the lighting arrangements themselves. I could also turn certain assembly parts on and off depending on the type of render, such as using straight rotor blades for when the helicopter was in flight, and relaxed, curved blades when the helicopter was stationary. I could also turn off the wheels and close the base of the helicopter while in flight, due to the flexibility of the assembly. It was important that the final visualisations looked to scale, as the lack of detail could make the helicopter look too small. Therefore, by including nuts, bolts, rivets and panel gaps, it helped to make sure that the helicopter looked to scale.

I am quite pleased with the final images, and this project has further increased both my overall CAD skills, and my skills within NX.

Detail.jpgDetail view of various components of the AS565.Forest.jpgAS565 in flight over forest.Isometric.jpgFull, isometric view of AS565.Marsh.jpgFleet of AS565 in flight.

Airbus AS565 Panther Helicopter

Enthusiast

My name is Kai Mendes, I am Product Design Engineering student at Loughborough University. I am currently in the first semester of the 2nd Year of my course. For my Industrial Design module, I used NX to model and render Airbus' AS565 Panther Helicopter; the exterior, interior and various features.

Several.jpgSeveral AS565s next to each other.

Cockpit.jpgInterior of AS565 during night flight.Helipad.jpgAS565 on helipad.

The model was then used to perform an ergonomic analysis, as well as being used within NX's Ray-Traced Studio to create high-quality visualisations. As the model was made for ergonomic analysis, accuracy was key, leading to in-depth research and the use of official documentation provided by Airbus to ensure correct sizes and dimensions.

To create the complex curves found on the helicopter, the use of Realise Shape was pivotal, allowing for the creation of the outer body being both accurate and efficient, using the Raster Image command and reference imagery of the Top, Front and Side view of the helicopter to ensure accuracy from any angle.

For the windows and doors, projecting curves and using N-Sided surfaces was very useful, as well as using Wave Linked geometry within the various parts that formed the overall assembly to allow for easier integration of parts, creating an intrinsically linked final assembly that was simple to edit for the various minor changes between helicopter models, such as paint jobs and other features.

For the visualisations, Ray-Traced Studio was used to give realistic lighting arrangements and finishes, with HDRI images being used to form the lighting arrangements themselves. I could also turn certain assembly parts on and off depending on the type of render, such as using straight rotor blades for when the helicopter was in flight, and relaxed, curved blades when the helicopter was stationary. I could also turn off the wheels and close the base of the helicopter while in flight, due to the flexibility of the assembly. It was important that the final visualisations looked to scale, as the lack of detail could make the helicopter look too small. Therefore, by including nuts, bolts, rivets and panel gaps, it helped to make sure that the helicopter looked to scale.

I am quite pleased with the final images, and this project has further increased both my overall CAD skills, and my skills within NX.

Detail.jpgDetail view of various components of the AS565.Forest.jpgAS565 in flight over forest.Isometric.jpgFull, isometric view of AS565.Marsh.jpgFleet of AS565 in flight.