Cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

My name is Kai Mendes; I am a 1st Year Product Design Engineering student studying at Loughborough University in England. As part of our course, we were required to take an object (or in my case, several) to model and render within NX 11. I created the Nintendo Switch, controllers and accessories, including the entire room, rendered fully within NX using Ray Traced Studio without the use of any external programs such as Photoshop.

KRMendes - Nintendo Switch Render Competition Entry LOW QUALITY.jpgNintendo Switch Controller, Console, Accessories and Room, Fully Rendered (Please note: this is a .JPG of the original .TIF so that the image could be small enough to be embedded into this post. Please find the original, high quality .TIF at the specified resolution attached to this post for judging).

I decided to render the newest gaming console from Nintendo (creators of famed gaming icons such as Mario, Pokémon and Zelda) the Nintendo Switch; a hybrid between a traditional home console and a portable one, the Nintendo Switch allows you to dock the main unit to play in a living room environment, or remove it and attach the detachable controllers (called Joy-Cons) via rails on the side of the console.

The Joy-Cons can also be attached to a grip (as seen in the centre of the main image), attached to wrist straps for games that require movement of the controllers (as seen to the left of the image), or be used freely without a grip or straps (as seen to the right of the image). I also rendered various accessories, such as game cases (to the right), two figures of popular Nintendo characters that can be used with the console via NFC communication with the controllers to gain in-game rewards (to the left), as well as the dock (under the television). The Nintendo Switch and the various accessories I modelled can be seen within Supplementary Image #3, all of which are annotated for easy reference.

For this specific render, I also created the entire room, from the coffee table the controllers sit on, to the walls, to the TV as well as the chair. To gain complex lighting and shadows, I included a window (which can’t be seen in this render, but can be seen within Supplementary Image #2) which has a light filtering through it, as well as using a HDRI image. I also created a backlit television using NX’s material options, by using the “Area Light” material and a decal sticker with its reflectivity set to glass, which created a bright, realistic screen, which is also reflected in the glass of the coffee table due to the backlight.

I had to use a range of NX’s functions to create all the object seen within the image; from basics such as the Extrude and Revolve commands, to projecting sketches, transforming bodies, using the X-Form command, using Studio Splines and Tubes for the wrist straps, Decal Stickers for the logos, and various complex assemblies; creating a full set of objects that were as true to life as possible required a deep understanding on my part of the various functions NX is capable of.

I aimed to fully use the complexity of NX’s rendering tools, which has allowed me to gain effects that using a simple 2D background image wouldn’t have created, and without the use of external programs; from the lights, to the various shadows, to the various reflections: the reflection of room on the TV; the reflection of the TV screen on the glass of the coffee table; the reflection of the blue Joy-Con in the controller grip; as seen within Supplementary Image #1; everything was fully created using NX and Ray Traced Studio.

Supplementary Images:

KRMendes - Supplementary Image 1.pngSupplementary Image #1 - View of the models and environment used to fully render the final image.KRMendes - Supplementary Image 2.pngSupplementary Image #2 - View of the entire room environment. The detail within the environment allows for complex lighting arrangements and fine details.KRMendes - Supplementary Image 3.pngSupplementary Image #3 - (1,2,8,10 = Nintendo Switch Joy-Con Controller) (3,4 = NFC Figures) (5 = Controller Grip) (6,13 = Game Cases) (7 = Controller Wrist Straps) (9 = Nintendo Switch Console Unit) (11 = Game Cartridges) (12 = Nintendo Switch Dock)

Nintendo Switch Controllers, Console, Accessories and Room, Fully Rendered

Enthusiast

My name is Kai Mendes; I am a 1st Year Product Design Engineering student studying at Loughborough University in England. As part of our course, we were required to take an object (or in my case, several) to model and render within NX 11. I created the Nintendo Switch, controllers and accessories, including the entire room, rendered fully within NX using Ray Traced Studio without the use of any external programs such as Photoshop.

KRMendes - Nintendo Switch Render Competition Entry LOW QUALITY.jpgNintendo Switch Controller, Console, Accessories and Room, Fully Rendered (Please note: this is a .JPG of the original .TIF so that the image could be small enough to be embedded into this post. Please find the original, high quality .TIF at the specified resolution attached to this post for judging).

I decided to render the newest gaming console from Nintendo (creators of famed gaming icons such as Mario, Pokémon and Zelda) the Nintendo Switch; a hybrid between a traditional home console and a portable one, the Nintendo Switch allows you to dock the main unit to play in a living room environment, or remove it and attach the detachable controllers (called Joy-Cons) via rails on the side of the console.

The Joy-Cons can also be attached to a grip (as seen in the centre of the main image), attached to wrist straps for games that require movement of the controllers (as seen to the left of the image), or be used freely without a grip or straps (as seen to the right of the image). I also rendered various accessories, such as game cases (to the right), two figures of popular Nintendo characters that can be used with the console via NFC communication with the controllers to gain in-game rewards (to the left), as well as the dock (under the television). The Nintendo Switch and the various accessories I modelled can be seen within Supplementary Image #3, all of which are annotated for easy reference.

For this specific render, I also created the entire room, from the coffee table the controllers sit on, to the walls, to the TV as well as the chair. To gain complex lighting and shadows, I included a window (which can’t be seen in this render, but can be seen within Supplementary Image #2) which has a light filtering through it, as well as using a HDRI image. I also created a backlit television using NX’s material options, by using the “Area Light” material and a decal sticker with its reflectivity set to glass, which created a bright, realistic screen, which is also reflected in the glass of the coffee table due to the backlight.

I had to use a range of NX’s functions to create all the object seen within the image; from basics such as the Extrude and Revolve commands, to projecting sketches, transforming bodies, using the X-Form command, using Studio Splines and Tubes for the wrist straps, Decal Stickers for the logos, and various complex assemblies; creating a full set of objects that were as true to life as possible required a deep understanding on my part of the various functions NX is capable of.

I aimed to fully use the complexity of NX’s rendering tools, which has allowed me to gain effects that using a simple 2D background image wouldn’t have created, and without the use of external programs; from the lights, to the various shadows, to the various reflections: the reflection of room on the TV; the reflection of the TV screen on the glass of the coffee table; the reflection of the blue Joy-Con in the controller grip; as seen within Supplementary Image #1; everything was fully created using NX and Ray Traced Studio.

Supplementary Images:

KRMendes - Supplementary Image 1.pngSupplementary Image #1 - View of the models and environment used to fully render the final image.KRMendes - Supplementary Image 2.pngSupplementary Image #2 - View of the entire room environment. The detail within the environment allows for complex lighting arrangements and fine details.KRMendes - Supplementary Image 3.pngSupplementary Image #3 - (1,2,8,10 = Nintendo Switch Joy-Con Controller) (3,4 = NFC Figures) (5 = Controller Grip) (6,13 = Game Cases) (7 = Controller Wrist Straps) (9 = Nintendo Switch Console Unit) (11 = Game Cartridges) (12 = Nintendo Switch Dock)